UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My daughter who resides in USA made application for renewal

My daughter who resides in USA made application for renewal of her British passport back in mid April 2014 She and her American family was required to visit Italy for dying relative. She did all she was required to do and was informed it would take 4-6 weeks. She has called HMPO a number times and given no definite news other than because she had allowed her British passport to expire she is being considered a new applicant. Whatever the case she has been told twice now, that they had written her witness in San Diego California but no letter has been received there.
She was unable to accompany her family to Italy but would like to attend the memorial service in September. Is there anyone she can contact who could help her or does she just have to wait on the side line until whenever?
Your help wold be much appreciated.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

Sorry to hear about this.

She may be caught up in the passport scandal as there are hundreds of outstanding applications which are awaiting being processed.

I would advise her to lodge a formal complaint with HMPO, see here how she may do

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-passport-office/about/complaints-procedure

This should hopefully speed up her application.

Hope this helps