UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I am a UK citizen who lives in Italy. I am selling a property

Customer Question

I am a UK citizen who lives in Italy. I am selling a property in the UK. As proof of my identification, I have been asked to have my UK passport (which was issued in the UK) to be certified by an embassy. This seems strange to me. It is an official document issued by the UK government and valid all over the world. Why does it need to be certified?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

It is not the passport being certified, it is the copy of it being certified to ensure that it is an authentic copy of your passport.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That is not my real question, perhaps I have not been clear. I am here in the UK physically with my passport. The conveyancers say that the passport would be sufficient ID if I lived in the UK, but being as I live abroad, the passport needs to be certified. This seems ridiculous to me. The passport is a world-wide ID valid everywhere. The fact that I do not reside in the UK seems irrelevant to me. I am physically here and show my passport. How can it need to be certified? What is the difference with a UK-resident showing his passport and that being valid and me doing the same?