75100385

On Monday night a fault caused excess voltage to be generated

On Monday night a fault caused excess voltage to be generated on the electricity distribution network in my street and as such, several of my household items such as TV's, washing machine, sky box, broadband hub, phone chargers etc were severely damaged and do not work.
An assessor from Corporate Support Solutions who is acting on behalf of Northern Power Grid came out to our homes. We all received a letter stating that they were not liable but as a gesture of goodwill they would repair our damaged items but would not replace. If the items could not be repaired then they would give a financial offer based on what it would cost to repair the item, not how much it would cost us to replace the item.
Up to now my smaller TV and DVD are irrepairable and I have been offered £60 for my TV and £20 for my DVD player, I can not buy a TV for £60 and when I have taken this up with the company they state that they are not liable and do not pay out what it would cost to buy a new item.
Is this right? Obviously a fault has occurred and someone must be liable for this fault? Clearly I did not blow up my own electrical items, this was caused by the excess voltage so surely Northern Powergrid are liable for the damage caused and should be insured to cover the costs of their 'faults'?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this recorded delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.

Customer:

Yes please,

Customer:

by refund, do you mean the cost to replace the items as new?

Alex Watts :

Yes that is correct.

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

Customer:

Yes, thank you very much for your help