UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

over a year ago I engaged an African Woman based in Kampala

over a year ago I engaged an African Woman based in Kampala to do some work for me... she has scammed me out of a very large sum of money. I have her address and bank details but I am not sure if I have any recourse in getting my money back. I have all the receipts from overseas transactions.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

Unless you are willing to incur further costs to try and get this money back from the person in Uganda, I am afraid there is not much you can do other than to write off the sum.

You may need to engage a local lawyer there to try and recover the money from you or to report her to the police for fraud and this will incur further expenses which you will have to pay with no guarantee that your money will be recovered.

In most cases like this, you may end up throwing good money after bad money.

The fact that she is in a different jurisdiction in Africa will only make it harder for you to recover your money.

May I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you and it is as I thought.. my aim is to prevent her from doing this to another stupid victim...

the country is corrupt and as you rightly say.. throwing good money after bad is impractical. £20,000 is a lot to lose!

Absolutely. I am sorry to hear that the amount in question is an eye watering 20,000 pounds.

Perhaps you could report her to the local police and get her arrested on convicted. A spell in prison may deter her from scamming others.

Please leave feedback
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

not sure how to go about reporting her to Ugandan police? traditional healers are ten a penny...that's a lot for the money I paid!. but I do have contact details and bank details so maybe her bank can assist?

Yes, maybe her bank can assist but very likely you will need someone on the ground there, preferably a local lawyer to take this up with her bank and the local authorities.

All the best