UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My sister and myself are executors to my mothers will. We have

My sister and myself are executors to my mothers will. We have a brother, all 3 of us are benefishories. We are trying to sell her house but my brother keeps interfearing my mothers solicitor is dealing with her estate for us the executors. we have an offer on the table for the full asking price. My brother has given our solicitor a letter saying under no cercomstaces is any family member ever to be envolved in purchasing the property ever. Can he make that stipulation? please note the offer is not a family member but he has been extremely difficult our solicitor has had to communicate with his solicitor at all our expense on other issues. I just want to know can he make a demand that no member of family can buy the house now or ever?

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

No, there is nothing in law to stop the house being sold to a family member unless the Will said that it shouldn't be sold to a family member.

Your brother may have his own reasons for acting the way he is, but if the current offeror is an unrelated person, then it should be sold to that person without riling your brother as the person is not a family member.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can I demand a retraction?

You may do so but whether or not he retracts is another matter I am afraid.

All the best