Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

if I cancel legal documents for a Family Trust before signing

if I cancel legal documents for a Family Trust before signing the final documents can I claim back The money that I have paid ie. £1400.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 3 years ago.
Buachaill :

1. I regret to say that monies paid to a trust provider or to a firm of solicitors is not automatically refundable merely if you then decide not to go ahead and sign the Trust documents. Essentially fees payable for a solicitor or trust provider to set up a trust are determined by the amount of work done. Fees are not dependent upon the settlor deciding to go ahead with the trust. Once you employ a solicitor or trust provider to put together documents for a trust, then fees arise. Just because you change your mind and decide not to go ahead does not mean that the monies are refundable. Obviously whilst the full 1400 is not refundable a proportion of the fees which represents work which has to be done in the future, ought to be refundable. So you should negotiate with the legal department for a proportionate part of the fess paid to be refunded to recognise that not all the work was done.

Customer:

I have spoken to their Legal
Dept & they say we are not entitled to a refund if we do not go ahead.

Optional Information:
System of Law: England-and-Wales

Already Tried:
I have rung their Legal Dept.