12826847

i have a sister who is spreading lies about me and i would

Customer Question

i have a sister who is spreading lies about me and i would like some advice about getting a letter being sent to her to put as stop to it.
regards,
shaun gallagher.
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

she is going around telling people that i stole money from my mother and left her in a load of debt which is just not true.

Ok.
So what would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i would like to get some sort of a restraiing order.

Are you asking if you get an injunction?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes

You do have various options.
The first is to sue her in defamation in the hope that you will get an injunction preventing her from repeating a specific falsehood.
The difficulty with that is that it is very expensive to sue in defamation even now trial by jury has been abolished unless the court directs it. One option is to get a solicitor, or possibly a barrister under public access, to write to her warning her of the risk of a defamation action and asking her to desist. That might succeed or of course it might not.
The second is to sue her for harassment on the basis that this amounts to indirect contact. There is still cost in that but it would be cheaper than a defamation claim and also the advantage is that you can get orders that are wider than just a requirement not to repeat a specific falsehood.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how would i go about the letter

It depends if you propose to write your own or get a solicitor or barrister to do it.

If you propose to write your own then just write to her saying that you have heard that she has made these comments and she should note that if she continues you will consider suing her and seeking costs against her.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks very much for your advice.

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

very happy with expert