13262538

I have worked all my life and only claimed my state old age

Customer Question

I have worked all my life and only claimed my state old age pension when I reached 70. I could have claimed it when I was 65. Am I entitled to any back payment.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

You usually receive extra state pension for every period of 5 weeks in which you delayed claiming your pension. In your case, you delayed claiming it for 5 years and should be receiving quite substantial extra state pension and a lump sum payment possibly.

You should call DWP and ask them how much you are entitled to for delaying claiming your state pension by 5 years.

May I help further?
You can calculate what you are entitled to (it is either extra pension OR a lump sum) here
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/299286/dwp024-apr-14.pdf