29905560

I have been told thaT I need to meet certain financial targets

Customer Question

I have been told thaT I need to meet certain financial targets to make a new project work at work but I've not been given any financial targets to work with. I've been told to submit financial records and then I will be told. I'm perplexed at this and stressed that I have no way of knowing if I have been successful. Can this be reasonable. Alex

Ben Jones : Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How long have you worked there for?
JACUSTOMER-9d35ds6l- :

Hi Ben

JACUSTOMER-9d35ds6l- :

I've been employed for over 8 years.

JACUSTOMER-9d35ds6l- :

I am currently working 4 days a week.

JACUSTOMER-9d35ds6l- :

I have said to my employer that this would put me under pressure and that I'm starting this new project with my hands tied behind my back. No comment was made.

Ben Jones :

Hi Alex, the law does not specifically deal with such situations and it is very much left down to the employer to decide how targets and performance are to be measured and the procedures an employer would follow in such circumstances.

However, each employment contract contains an implied requirement for both parties to act with a mutual degree of trust and confidence. This is a catch-all term which covers the general employment relationship and would require the employer to act fairly and reasonably in the general scope of things. So in this example it would cover the way they go about communicating the targets and expectations of you and also what they do as a result of your work. They may not necessarily be required to give you the specific targets at the outset, but if you subsequently do not meet the targets they had in mind and they take formal action against you or reprimand you in some way that would be considered an unfair and unreasonable reaction and would go against this implied term of trust and confidence.

Similarly, the employer has a duty under common health and safety laws to ensure you are not unnecessarily exposed to increased stress and if they have placed you in a situation where you are feeling more stressed than usual, you should raise that issue with them and explain the reasons why this has happened and try to work towards a way of resolving this. In the event of you and the employer being unable to resolve tis you have the option of pursuing the internal grievance procedure, which is a formal complaints route, the outcome of which you can also appeal if necessary.

Ben Jones :

Hope this clarifies your position? If you could please let me know that would be great, thank you

Ben Jones :

Hello, I see you have accessed and read my answer to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? I just need to know whether to close the question or not? Thanks

Hello Alex, could you please let me know if I have answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this – this is needed so I can either keep the question open or close it if no further advice is required? Thank you