12826847

A few months ago I was away in chester and got too drunk (I

A few months ago I was away in chester and got too drunk (I believe I may have been spiked but have no proof). Woke up the next morning in hostpital to be told I punched through an art shop window and caused £3000 worth of damage. This is my first offence and my record is clean, the police have agreed to let me off with a conditional caution if I pay the damage up front (which I cant afford). I have decided to let them take me to court as I have no way to raise the funds. What sort of punishment am I likely to receive? will it be a fine and a record or can I go to prison for this?
Do you have any previous convictions?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I don't have any previous convictions

You can go to prison for this offence but you won't. Its a high value criminal damage that does carry custody but its not realistic for a first offence.
However, they are likely to order compensation of the lost amount anyway so if there is any way of organising the finance then I would urge taking the conditional caution.
If you just cannot do that then the court would probably be looking at a low level community order like unpaid work. You might be lucky and escape with a fine.
They will get compensation but you can ask for time to pay.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your help