How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

hello my name is ***** ***** daughter wishes to marry an overseas

Resolved Question:

hello my name is ***** ***** daughter wishes to marry an overseas student who is here
in London for the past 4/5 years, what are the requirements?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

The requirements are as follows:

They both need to give notice at a designated registry, see here:

The original documents required are (pick 2 documents from below)
  • passport
  • birth certificate
  • driving licence
  • national identity card
  • immigration status document
and an original proof of address not dated more than 3 months ago:
  • gas, water or electricity bill
  • bank statement
  • Council Tax bill


They both need to pay a 35 pounds fee.

After 16 days have passed, they can have a marriage ceremony, details below:

Hope this helps

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thankyou for your answer, is that all is requred, for a legal

marriage here in uk. Does my daughter who is a british citizen

have to be working and earning sufficient money in order to

marry an overseas student here in th uk, this is what i have

heard. The student is already working here and studying.

He wishes to stay here permanently in uk .

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The student is from pakistan, will he be able to stay permanently

in uk after marriage in the registrar office. are there any more

requirements needed?

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
Getting married and having the correct immigration status are two different questions. Please post any immigration related questions separately.

As long as the overseas student has a valid visa, they will be fine to get married here, but they need to give notice at a special designated marriage registry, see the link I gave you.

Hope this answers your original query.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so is this an immigration query? sorry for the confusion, will

i find my answer on the link you gave me, or do i need to enquire


Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
Yes, please see the links.
All the best. Please leave feedback and ask for UKSolicitorJA only to answer only.
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you