75100385

I was in Defence. I had to do an out of court settlement as

Customer Question

I was in Defence. I had to do an out of court settlement as advised by my lawyer, but afterwards I found out that the Claimant's lawyer was his brother hidden in a room in the court who was also the Claimant's main Witness for the Prosecution. I'm very upset that I found out afterwards and have to pay 200 pounds for the rest of my life. Surely this cannot be legal as it it is a blatant conflict of interest? How can a solicitor acting for the Claimant also be a Witnesss for the Prosecution?

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Was this a civil or criminal matter please?
JACUSTOMER-p1nuugfg- :

This was a Civil Litigation matter Alex.

Alex Watts :

You want to know can someone act for their brother in Court and be a witness?

Alex Watts :

Was he on record as acting or just dealt with the hearing?

JACUSTOMER-p1nuugfg- :

He was working for the firm of solicitors DH LAw, but I didn't know he had just joined them. My lawyer from Boodle Hatfield was dealing with a Miss Rhian Davies from this firm and I expected to see her in the court, but his brother was hidden in a room - he is a solicitor . Miss Rhian Davies was not there. He had a barrister and so did I. I understand that his barrister would have cross-examined me and mine would have cross examined the claimant and his solicitor brother, but why was Miss Rhian Davies not present and his brother hidden in a room in the court with my lawyer and barrister going in and out of this room sorting things out? I'm very confused that this was all hidden from me. When you say acting or just dealt with the hearing, i do not know, Why on earth was he hidden in a room when he was a main witness and why was the other sides solicitor Miss Rhian Davies not in the court or in that room.

JACUSTOMER-p1nuugfg- :

I was in the canteen of the Court with my lawyer and barrister and witness. The Claimant was in the canteen also with a a couple of character witnesses and his barrister was in and out going into this side room where the Claimant's brother was. If I had known that Miss Rhian Davies was not in that room and his brother was I would have stopped the case. His brother was doing all the negotiations in this room, with the Claimants barrister and my lawyer and my barrister. It didn't get into court and I wish it had. Surely a Judge wouldn't allow this? It's a total conflict of interest and the brother was a major liar in this whole case.

JACUSTOMER-p1nuugfg- :

thank you Alex.

Alex Watts :

There is nothing unusual with a witness being in a conference room - this is quite normal

Alex Watts :

As for Miss Davies not being there, she does not have to be. A lot of time even Solicitors are not at Court because of the cost.

Alex Watts :

Therefore with Miss Davies not being at the hearing and the witness in a room is not something unusual.

Alex Watts :

Only witnesses that have given evidence are permitted to go into Court and give evidence, that is it

Alex Watts :

But the fact that the brother represented - is this a conflict - no

Alex Watts :

It is only a conflict if the brother knew you and was friends with you

Alex Watts :

They can know the Claimant, this is not a problem

Alex Watts :

But they can't be conflicted with the Defendant

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not the answer you are looking for and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Alex Watts :

JACUSTOMER-p1nuugfg- :

the brother did know me as he was introduced to me before all this court stuff and I went out for dinner with him and the Claimant. I wouldn't say he was a friend like the Claimant, but he had met me twice and the Claimant wanted me to meet his brother? This was all before i was duped. hank you Alex

Alex Watts : You can report this to the regulator - the solicitors regulatory Aurhority.
Alex Watts : Can I claiify anything else for you?
Alex Watts : They can investigate and see if there has been any breach of the rules. There website is www.sra.org.uk
Alex Watts : There may have been a conflict of interest but I can not be sure. You can complain to the regulator who can investigate. They are www.sra.org.ik
Alex Watts : .uk
Alex Watts : Www.sra.org.uk
Alex Watts : They can see if there is a conflict or breaches if any rules.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/