75100385

Was asked to pay (£129) for medical screening on booking, before

Was asked to pay (£129) for medical screening on booking, before screening. Is this legal?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.
Could you explain the situation a little more?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

A letter came from an independent company offering medical screening for high bp, heart rate, blood count, pulmonary capacity, vit B12 deficiency making vascular dementia possible, etc. The charge was £99 on special offer, or £129 for the dementia 'screening'. I rang their number, the location for the screening in my area was quite close and scheduled for 6/8/14, and I was given a time, taken through some initial health questions and then asked for £129. I said I did not pay for services before they were received and rang off. Was the request legal, money before appointment? Useful to know in case of future similar situations.

If this is for a private testing then it is quite normal to ask in advance for payment. If you are concerned then if you pay by credit card your card issuer is liable for any problems under section 75 of the consumer credit act.
However it is not illegal to ask for payment up front for services. Many places do it. I booked online to have my car MoT and it asks for payment before booking.
So please be assured there is nothing sinister about this.

I am just following up on this. Is there anything else I can help with? If so, please let me know.

Alex.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did read it, and said I didn't think that an MOT test, required by law, was comparable with a private medical test. These people actually tell me they ask for advance payment because people don't always turn up -- which is understandable in an aged clientele who may be unwell unexpectedly. Then they have paid for nothing. I think it's diabolical, and have cancelled the appointment.

Thank you for the update.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Referring to a compulsory MOT with payment in advance was no help in resolving a request for payment in advance for a non-NHS health check, money asked for in advance in case of non-attendance. I haven't got money to take that risk, and because the 'unlimited membership' box was already ticked, I moved on to the next page without realising what had been signed up for. Over £100 paid for nothing is too much for a retired person. And citing recommendations from the US is hardly helpful either.