75100385

I was reversing my car in a private car park when another car

Customer Question

I was reversing my car in a private car park when another car came in and parked behind me, as I was watching the front of my car and was already moving before she came in. The woman driver did not park in a parking place but just stopped in the access area and although we made contact, my tow hitch made a small dent in her rear bumper, I asked her why she had parked behind me, (to which she replied she had stopped there to pick up her children) and told her I did not consider myself responsible for her bad parking. I have since had a letter from her insurance company for a bill of £467 for repairs to her car, they have quoted the Road Traffic Act 1988 (section 152).
Alex Watts : This is a civil matter.
Alex Watts : You should report it to your insurance.
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : But if you don't pay they can issue proceedngs and a judge can decide who is to blame.
Alex Watts : Given the value it would be a small claim anyway.
Alex Watts : I have a feeling a judge would say 50/50
Alex Watts : You should have been looking to see others cars and stopped. She should not have parked there.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, I had a feeling that would be the case. It happened in February but I have only just had contact from her insurers. I have taken photos off the car park and drawn a diagram of the incident that I will send to my insurers and also a copy to hers.

Yes I would so that. Good luck with this.