13262538

My husband has Alzheimers disease and has in the last couple

Customer Question

My husband has Alzheimer's disease and has in the last couple of weeks been admitted to a care home full time. I have had Power of Attorney for over two years.
The family, who do not accept there is anything wrong with their father/brother and have not visited or telephoned for many months, in some cases almost two years, have now come out of the woodwork and are causing trouble.
I have asked them, on hospital advice, to refrain from visiting for 2 or 3 weeks to allow him time to become acclimatised and when they do visit, to avoid mealtimes as it causes disruption for everyone.
He has now had three lengthy visits this week with another one planned for tomorrow, despit my saying I would be there tomorrow. The visits are very tiring and have all been over lunchtime.
Is there anything legally that I can do?
Have you discussed with the home the possibility of them being refused entry?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your reply Clare - Yes, I have discussed the problem with the home. Fortunately I did say I hoped there would be no trouble from the family, when I admitted him.

The home has a policy of 'Family and friends may visit anytime and outings may be organised according to their (residents) wishes and abilities'.

My husband of course does not know what day it is and is unable to make up his mind about anything.

The hospital have said they are prepared to support me in saying that he was admitted on their advice for the safety and protection of both of us.

I have told the family this but they refuse to co-operate.

Just to check - is it a lasting Power of attorney that deals with Personal Welfare as well?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, Clare, it is.

Then you have the right to say who visits him and when
So instead of asking then - tell them which days they can visit and when.
Give the home a copy of the power of Attorney and a list of times when those family members are allowed in and ask them to refuse entry at any other time
Write a letter to the relatives that is calm and factual.
You can start by pointing out that you are updating them since it is so long since many of them had contact
Confirm what the Home has said; give them the timetable and say that you hope that you will not have to enforce it by way of a court order - but will do so if necessary to protect your husband
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much for your advice Clare.

You are welcome - i am sorry it has come to this.