LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

hi have had a problem with my housing association for over

Customer Question

hi have had a problem with my housing association for over 9 years had water coming in bedroom ceiling they said they had fixed the problem gave me false ceiling then the water came through that they put in new bathroom that leaked into kitchen had to do without light in kitchen for 6 months they gave me a new kitchen the unit on the wall just missing me they said it was bad workmanship have doctors letter saying how this has not helped my blood pressure they have fixed most of the problems and say they have till 2015 to fix the rest I want compensation for all my stress plus carpets curtains and three times I had to refurbish the room the water came into plus the classes that were in the unit that came off the kitchen wall have photos off every thing I have told you plus letters from them
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.
LondonlawyerJ :

hello I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

Do you know what the cause of the water leak was?

Customer:

They say it is the flashing/ridge which they believe is the source of water into the cavity and intermittently water comes in

LondonlawyerJ :

OK thank you for that. I will answer you tomorrow.

Customer:

all I want to know is how do I get them to pay me for the last 9 years of having to decorate my home 3 times puss my glassware that was smashed when unit feel of wall unit that feel of wall plus they say they don't have the money to get my home up to standard they say they have up to 2015 want to know if they are not doing anything as the building is going for demolition how do I stand

LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience: Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Did you bring a claim for disrepair please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no have not tried to get claim I wanted to wait till they say they have done everything they can do they have admitted the building has not been brought up to standard they say they have up till 2015 to do this work my friend who lives in the same area has had her home upgraded twice in the time I have lived here my next boor neighbour got new windows and door she never asked for them as her home was fine think they made mistake as I was the complaint

You need to get a surveyor to do a survey of the property, then you can see the faults and bring a claim for dilapidations. You can't claim for 9 years sadly, because of the Limitation Act 1980.
You can claim 6 years by law but not 9 years, it is something the court can take into account but can't award for you.
Once you have the surveyor report you need to write and set out your losses and request a payment within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this recorded delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.
You can use the surveyor report in Court to assist you.
I see you rated my colleagues answer - did you mean to rate that one or mine please?