Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

I am self-employed electrician working on a street lighting

Customer Question

I am self-employed electrician working on a street lighting contract in west Sussex .last week I was caught on site with out my hard hat on the contractor I subcontract for has sent a letter to my home address saying he is stopping next week 1weeks full pay plus4 hrs can he do this
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.

Alex Hughes : My name is Alex Hughes and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.
Alex Hughes : What does you contact say about this?
Alex Hughes : Sorry. That should read: what does you contract say about this?
JACUSTOMER-yz0qizgm- :

I have not signed any contract regards this I was in the wrong not wearing the hat on this one off I exspect to be pulled up on this heath and safety But not to loose a whole weeks pay

Alex Hughes : OK. The main contractor cannot withhold your money in the absence of a written agreement. You may have been in the wrong and perhaps they can penalise you but they cannot make a deduction without your express written agreement.
JACUSTOMER-yz0qizgm- :

Many thanks I will put this to them on Monday

Alex Hughes : OK, all the best. Please take a moment to rate my answer.
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Do you need any further help with this?