75100385

My daughter was renting a property through a rental agency.

My daughter was renting a property through a rental agency. At the start of the process, she had to pay a deposit. She was informed that when she moved out, subject to any reductions because of damaged caused, she would get the deposit back within 10 working days. She moved out of the property over 7 weeks ago, and has still not received the deposit. She has been informed that there will be a small reduction due to some minor damage, but that the issue now lies with a third party; the rental agency have asked the company where the deposit was lodged to pay back the deposit. She is now getting frustrated by the lack of action from either company, who are not responding to emails etc. If there anything else she can do?
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this recorded delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.