75100385

I am seeking expert copyright advice

I am seeking expert copyright advice
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I am a trustee of a small heritage charity. We are making a film of the heritage sites in our area; the focus being on the Saxon era. We want to use photos of iconic Saxon era artefacts which are on exhibition at the British Museum, British Library and other museums. I want to know if we can use privately taken photos of these exhibits without breaching copyright law. These photos are allowed to be taken (i.e. there is no 'no photos allowed') bar in place. Please advise and if possible refer to reference / case material to support your response. Thank you. Peter O'Sullivan

Yes, if there is no restriction against taking the photographs of such heritage sites, then you may do so and copyright in your photos will belong to you the charity.
You will not be in breach of any copyright law by taking the photos of the sites.
Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you; to clarify two points

1) my quest is not related to 'heritage sites' as such; rather to artefacts from these sites which are on exhibition in a museum such as the British Museum

2) As in my first response are you able to point me to reference / case material that I can use in my briefing to the trustees of our charity

Thank you. Peter

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
1) You can take photos of any artifacts
2) There is no statute, case law. This is because you can't copyright objects/structures as such. For example you can't copyright and stop people taking photos of Blackpool tower.
It is the same with mobile phones, whilst how they work inside may be subject to trademark the actual taking a photo of an Iphone is not. It is your work, you have not used someone elses photo or work.
Therefore it is not illegal.
In the UK the law only prohibits acts, so if something is not prohibited you can do it - such as taking photos of artifacts etc and using them. You are the author of the photographs and can use them as you wish
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Alex, thank you. This is very clear. Peter

Happy to help.