Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

CONSUMER LAW I bought a TV from a retailer at the end of

CONSUMER LAW
I bought a TV from a retailer at the end of April this year (2014) via Amazon.co.uk which developed a fault.
The retailer refused to refund me but I obtained one via the dispute process with Amazon, who paid me themselves.
It's nearly a month since I received my refund and I still have the (faulty) TV. Neither the retailer nor Amazon have contacted me to arranged to pickup the TV.
a1) Who currently owns the TV?
a2) If the answer to a1 is not me, is there a point where the TV would legally become my property if the retailer or Amazon not get contact with me?
b) Am I obliged under UK law to notify the retailer or Amazon to pick up the TV?
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
My name is***** and I'm happy to help with your question today.
1. The TV remains your property unless it was agreed as part of the refund that you should return it.
2. The money you received was compensation (or damages) for breach of contract. It does not automatically mean the TV has to be returned.
3. You need not do anything else. But it is advisable to keep the TV is a secure place in case Amazon decide they want it back - in which case they will be responsible for all charges involved.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Alex

Thanks for your answer.

To very quick follow up questions (only 2 I promise) Laughing

Is there a time limit that Amazon need to contact me to retrieve the TV?

It wouldn't normally be an issue, except it's a 60inch TV and is taking up a lot of room in my garage storeroom.

Is there anything stopping me from calling out an engineer and getting the TV fixed out of my own pocket? (I realise that potentially I could lose the TV if Amazon arrange for it to be picked up)

Thanks again

Nick :)

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Hi Nick
1. There is no time limit that I can see on their T&C's about this;
2. I would leave it a reasonable length of time - perhaps 3 - 6 months before doing anything with the TV. If nothing happens in that time you can assume they do not want it back.
Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Alex, I'll do just that!

Best Wishes

Nick :)

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
No problem. Have. A great weekend.