12826847

I purchase a large volume of product from a local factory shop

Customer Question

I purchase a large volume of product from a local factory shop and sell it online. The factory shop manager has told me that his management have told me that they are unable to serve me in the future as I purchase too much. Are they allowed to refuse to sell to me but sell to others?

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

I am sorry but they are. They cannot be forced to contract with you. They are perfectly free to refuse further sales for any reason they like unless it offends against equal opportunities requirements.

It is surprising they want to do that. It would seem no concern of theirs what you intend to do with this product but there you have it.

I'm very sorry if this is bad news.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So a shop can choose to serve client A but not B but then C and D but not E?

Yes it seems rather insane as I'm simply shipping their product to areas where there are people who cannot reach their factory shops.

Yes.

As indeed any person can do that.

Unless of course they choose to serve customer A and not customer B on racial grounds etc.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

But even if I were homosexual for example it would be difficult to prove discrimination if they chose to serve other people who were homosexual I guess?

You would need to show that the reason they were not serving you was that you were homosexual but your point is otherwise right. That would be covered.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/