Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

Hello. Could you answer my question regarding the Law on setting

Hello. Could you answer my question regarding the Law on setting off fireworks in a green belt area, once a year in a safe place with neighbours full permission please? Can you set off a medium display lasting 10 mins? Thank you.
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Alex Hughes : My name is***** and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.
Alex Hughes : Has there been objection to the from the neighbours?
Customer:

Hello.

Customer:

No objections. We always inform them if and when we are having fireworks. We have not had fireworks for 4 yrs. When we have, they are fully aware of time and length. No more than 10 mins with gaps in between.

Customer:

Customer:

Would just like to know the Law in the UK

Customer:

Hello. Awaiting an answer on Law re Fireworks in green belt in the UK.

Customer:

MANY THANKS

Alex Hughes : You can in fact let fireworks off any time of year and any day of the week including Sundays, but you must let them off before 11pm.Exceptions to the 11pm rule are:November 5th (Bonfire Night / Guy Fawkes): You can let fireworks off until midnight.December 31st (New Year’s Eve): You can let fireworks off until 1am.Diwali (26th October 2011* and 13th November 2012*): You can let fireworks off until 1am.Chinese New Year (23rd January 2012*): You can let fireworks off until 1am.*Source: Wikipedia articles Diwali and Chinese New Year.It is courtesy to notify your neighbours if you are having a display especially if it is not on November 5th or New Year’s Eve.It is illegal to let fireworks off in the street or a public place. You should only let fireworks off on private land such as your garden or on land where you have the landowner’s permission e.g. Green belt land that you mention. It is UKFR’s understanding this means it is also illegal to let fireworks off on the beach (not to mention having the potential for fireworks to be mistaken for distress flares).It is not a legal requirement to have any form of licence or training to let off consumer fireworks. However for larger displays which are insured, some form of training may be a requirement of the underwriters.You can read the various firework laws that apply in the Fireworks Regulations 2004: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2004/1836/contents/made