Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

Hi, I have been advised that I stand to be the beneficiary

Hi, I have been advised that I stand to be the beneficiary of approx $16m by a Chinese bank employee who has done an heir hunter search and come up with my name ! I stupidly replied confirming only my full name and he has now advised me that his solictor has drawn up backdated papers in my name claiming that the deceased person has named me the inheritor.
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Alex Hughes :

My name is***** and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.

Alex Hughes :

Have you been asked for money or 'finders fee'?

Customer:

Sorry for the delay your reply came to my junk mail ! In answer to your question I have not been asked for money or a fee, But the sender has said that he has incurred costs of $24,000 and this will be taken from my 1/2 share of the inheritance ( He is claiming 1/2 share for advising me of the inheritance and dealing with the bank/s !

Alex Hughes :

This is a scam. I guess you've probably worked that out yourself! Its a common scam which involves the offer of $millions in return for some basic information and/or a finders fee. Usually the initial contact progresses to the point of asking you to send money or personal details about banking, finance, employment history etc. Giving your name will not be a problem --- but do not get involved in any further contact or supply any more information because they will con you. If you genuinely believe that someone has left you $16m then you ought to go and see a solicitor who will make the enquiries and trace the money for you. But whatever you do; don't give out any more information about yourself.