tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

I have been abused in emails by a solicitor acting for a company

I have been abused in emails by a solicitor acting for a company i owned money to under a directors guarantee. This solicitor has made my life hell & i ended up being treated for depression & having anti depressants prescribed. in the emails i was mocked for my mental health issues & called a liar. I want to sue this firm & the defendants for libel/slander, do you think i would have a case. In all my replies i have copied other people in & he confirmed in an email that any email he sends goes to his client
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.
tdlawyer :

Hi, thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I can help with this.

tdlawyer :

Hello!

tdlawyer :

If he has made statements of fact to third parties which are untrue and are defamatory (in the sense of causing or would cause right minded people to think less of you) then you may be able to sue in the civil courts for defamation.

tdlawyer :

However, as he is a solicitor, it might be better for you to refer him to the Solicitors Regulation Authority, which has powers to discipline the solicitor concerned.

tdlawyer :

Referring him to the SRA will not cost you anything.

Customer:

could i send you the emails?

Customer:

I have refered him to the SRA but they will not tell me they answer as it is not policy

tdlawyer :

I wouldn't encourage that because this is a public site, and eveybody and anybody can see them.

Customer:

ok

tdlawyer :

Okay, and has it changed his behaviour?

Customer:

i had a voicemail from his clients not to answer any more emails from him. I was told he was in trouble & it was being delt with at a higher level. i have kept & copied this voicemail for prove. I told them that i would be taking legal action against them & would be contacting a mental health charity to publize their attidue to people with mental health issues. I was told i have to do what i have got to do in text. I have not heard any thing since. At the time of the emails they were going to petition for my bankrupcy which i said i was going to contest. I do not know if they have proceeded with this

Customer:

Also I do not thing it is a solicitor as i could not find his name on any records. I believe he is a law clerk but obviously acting with the full knowlege of the partners in the law firm

tdlawyer :

Okay. If he acts through a law firm, then he is subject to the SRA's powers etc. There is little more you can do other then sue him or his firm for defamation, which can be very expensive.

Customer:

Do you think someone will take my case on a no win no fee basis?

tdlawyer :

It's entirely possible, yes, because your claim is against a solicitor and they're likely to have insurance to pay out if you win. So, the defendant would be financially viable to sue in most cases. Then, if you have a reasonable claim based on the emails, then yes, I don't see why somebody wouldn't do this for you. You should make some appointments with some firms local to you and see if they will help.