Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

For Alex Hughes.Continuation of Dispute with Builder.Review

For Alex Hughes. Continuation of Dispute with Builder. Review of draft email to builder. Steen.

I have now added my draft email.

Please review and let me know of any omissions or mistakes.

"Dear Mr. Newsome,

We are in receipt of your email dated 12th July ’14 in which you state your intention to bill us £1.500 for loss of earnings in connection with our not accepting your quotation dated 24th March ’14.

On 24th March ,14 you submitted a quote concerning the removal and rebuilding of our garden back wall.

By text message on the 16th May ‘14 you confirmed the start date to be Monday 14th July ’14 and made an appointment with us to come to our house on 11th July ‘14 to discuss the details of the work, which you previously estimated to take a week depending on weather conditions.

In May we booked holidays for the week commencing 14th July ‘14  - we both needed to give plenty of notice to our employers to allow colleagues to plan their holidays.

During your visit on 11th July you indicated to us, that the start date might be moved out for you to accommodate potential additional work on a current project. This would depend on your client accepting or rejecting a quote by Sunday morning 13th July ‘14 at the latest.

We were astounded by this, but trusted you to start Monday 14th July as you had previously committed to in writing (the text message of  16th May ’14).

We discussed the matter and came to the conclusion, that we had lost trust in your company because of the failure to deliver on a commitment – failure to adhere to the agreed start date. This was explained and communicated to you in an email dated 12th July ’14.

On the same day we received a text message stating that you could commence the work on Monday 28th July ’14.  On Sunday morning the 13th July we received your email in which you state that we have a written contract and that you will be considering your options suggesting that you commence work on the 28th July ’14 or bill us for loss of earnings.

Our position is that you are in breach of contract by your failure to keep to the agreed start date. Time was of the essence once we had your commitment to the start date for the reasons outlined above.

Your quote does not contain, nor have we ever discussed or agreed a cancellation fee. Consequently, we do not consider ourselves liable for your alleged loss of earnings. Should you wish to proceed with invoicing us we will challenge it, and we will consider a claim against your company for our losses and expenses.

Yours Sincerely,

Steen Weidekamp "

And I would like to know what my next step would be if Mr. Newsome delivers an invoice to us.

Many thanks,

Steen

Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
I am looking at your draft letter now and will respond shortly.
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
The letter looks absolutely fine to me. All the essential ingredients are there. I have made some minor adjustments in bold.
Dear Mr. Newsome
We are in receipt of your email dated 12th July ’14 in which you state your intention to CHARGE bus £1, 500 for "loss of earnings" in connection with OUR NON-ACCEPTANCE of your quotation dated 24th March ’14.
AT THE OUTSET WE WISH TO EXPRESS OUR DISAPPOINTMENT WITH YOUR SERVICE AND POSITION YOU HAVE PLACED US IN AT SUCH SHORT NOTICE.
On 24th March 2014 you submitted a quote concerning the removal and rebuilding of our garden back wall. By text message on the 16th May ‘14 you confirmed the start date to be Monday 14th July ’14 and made an appointment with us to come to our house on 11th July ‘14 to discuss the details of the work, which you previously estimated to take a week depending on weather conditions.
In May we booked holidays for the week commencing 14th July ‘14 - we both needed to give plenty of notice to our employers to allow colleagues to plan their holidays.
We were astounded by this BECAUSE WE BELIEVED THAT YOU WOULD KEEP TO THE ORIGINAL AGREEMENT.
We discussed the matter and came to the conclusion, that we had lost trust in your company because of the failure to deliver on a commitment, NAMELY YOUR failure to adhere to the agreed start date. This was explained and communicated to you in an email dated 12th July ’14.
On the same day we received a text message stating that you could commence the work on Monday 28th July ’14. On Sunday morning the 13th July we received your email in which you state that we have a written contract and that you will be considering your options suggesting that you commence work on the 28th July ’14 or bill us for loss of earnings.
Our position is that you are in breach of contract by your failure to keep to the agreed start date. Time was of the essence once we had your commitment to the start date for the reasons outlined above. MOVING THE START DATE BACK BY TWO WEEKS IS IN BREACH OF OUR AGREEMENT ESPECIALLY AS YOU HAVE HAD FOUR MONTHS TO PLAN YOUR COMMITMENTS.
Your quote does not contain nor have we ever discussed or agreed a cancellation fee. Consequently, we do not consider ourselves liable for your alleged "loss of earnings". Should you wish to proceed with invoicing us we will challenge it, and we will consider a COUNTER claim against your company for our losses and expenses AND DAMAGES FOR BREACH OF CONTRACT.
WE HAVE TAKEN LEGAL ADVICE ON THIS ISSUE IN LIGHT OF YOUR STANCE AND WE HAVE BEEN ADVISED THAT YOU ARE IN BREACH OF CONTRACT BY FAILING TO START WORK ON THE AGREED DATE. SHOULD THE MATTER PROCEED TO COURT WE WILL RELY ON THIS CORRESPONDENCE.
YF
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
Dear Mr. Newsome
YF
Thank you for using our service - please remember to rate my answer. You can ask for me in future - just remember to mark the question "For Alex Hughes".
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Did you get my question about next step, should we get presented with an invoice?

Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
Not yet!
But if he sends you an invoice you should refuse to pay it for the reasons we've discussed.
You can send the invoice back with a note explaining why you will not pay if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So if we refuse to pay or send the invoice back with the explanation as outlined in the email and he decides to take the matter further, what can we expect - in other words, what are his options?

Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
His only two options are:
1. Do nothing;
2. Sue you for the sum of £1, 500.
In my view he does not have a leg to stand on. He is unlikely to sue - if he does his chances of success are minimal.
He moved the date - not you. And now he wants you to pay for his failure to adhere to the agreement. I think a court is unlikely to have any sympathy with his case.
You have to stand firm and be robust. There is no claim here as he is in the wrong (plus there was no agreement to pay a penalty or cancellation fee).
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience: Partner in national law firm