How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question

UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Ex-partners gave me money his mother wants back

Customer Question


My partner's mother gave him some early inheritance which she sent to me to use to renew the lease on my flat, which he was living in and paying rent and the verbal agreement between hime and I was he'd have 5% equity in my flat. but could not go on the deeds as he's on benefits, had bad debts and can't get a mortgage.  (he also claims fraudulently re benefits and doesn't declare any earning to tax man...)

This happened at Christmas 2013 and we've now split in the last few weeks, his mother has started hassling me for repayment of the money, which I've agreed to do, £300 a month until I have a lump sum, by way of a loan or selling the flat. They agreed to this, now she's done a U turn and wants a lump sum, which I do not have.

She put in her last mail as a title (without prejudice)

How do I stand legally, before I respond to her?

Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.

There is no set time period in which you are to respond to her but if she had agreed to a repayment plan with you, she should stick to that and you should make it clear to her that a repayment plan was agreed and that you made a payment of 300 pounds as agreed pursuant to the repayment plan.

You should inform her that you will stick to the agreed repayment plan and are not in a position to repay her money as a lump sum.

You are not disputing that you owe her the money, you are simply saying you need time to pay it back, so I do not see a court siding with her.

May I help further?

UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience: English solicitor with over 12 years experience
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks for response.

I originally agreed to pay him but she's asked me to pay to direct to her.

So do I go back with a very simple response or do I not have to respond at all as I've already emailed with the points re payment.

Can it be classed as harassment if she keeps pursuing me?

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
You may simply refer her back to your previous emails re: payment.

Yes, you could tell her to stop harassing you further as you have already entered into an agreement and started paying back her money.

All the best

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions