tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

I am selling a house and I wish to do my own conveyancing.

I am selling a house and I wish to do my own conveyancing. Has the buyers solicitor the right to not do business with me unless I employ a solicitor or conveyancer or unless the buyer pays her another £400?
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.
tdlawyer :

Hi thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I can assist with this.

tdlawyer :

Is it our your own home that you're selling?

Customer:

Hi Tony. I own the house outright. When I bought the house I did my own conveyancing

tdlawyer :

Yes, okay. Well, you don't have to use a solicitor when selling (or buying) your own house. However, if you were proposing to do it for somebody else, that would be different, and they would be right to refuse to deal with you.

tdlawyer :

I see no reason they should refuse to deal with you in the circumstances.

tdlawyer :

They may want to take extra precautions regarding the sale proceeds, such as retaining them until the mortgage is discharged etc., as you cannot give a solicitor's undertaking, which as you will know, is quite important in the usual conveyancing process.

Customer:

I employed a solicitor to register the deeds. It was a time consuming process but a satisfying process. Quite a quick process because I could devote my time to it. It has been 3 months now and in the memorandum of sale I suggested a completion date end of this month. I do not have a mortgage and I have shown original documents to the estate agent to satisfy everyone that I am a citizen of the UK and not laundering money. What can I do to get them to deal with me - apart from getting a new buyer?

tdlawyer :

You can't force them really to deal with you, but you could see whether the obstacle is an inexperienced conveyacing associate, which is usually the issue. You could try writing to the firm's senior partner and pointing out that there is no legal restriction on dealing with you, and that they appear to be not acting in their own client's best interests by refusing to engage. Hopefully, this will mean somebody more senior will look into it and get the thing back on track for you.

Customer:

That is an excellent idea, Tony. I will do that. Thanks, Bye.