75100385

I have a few questions regarding my rights as a tenant. My

Customer Question

I have a few questions regarding my rights as a tenant.
My oven stopped working and I told my landlord and they said they would send someone to look at it and see what was wrong. No one came and I was away, when back I emailed again about this (a month later) and they said they would send someone and this happened. The part that stopped the oven over heating was broken and the engineer temporary removed it and said the oven works but it is not safe to be used for long periods of time. I told me landlord this and nothing has happened since (2 weeks at least) and they say they are chasing the oven manufactures to get it fixed. Basically we were without an oven for over a month and it is still not safe to use for long cooks.
The second issue is we had a funny smell in the house and after 3 complaint emails they send out people from a drain company to check out the issues, they came and when looking out the windows for the source of smell noticed that right next to the bedroom window was an outlet from the kitchen below and he was concerned about the carbon monoxide coming into the bedroom and this being dangerous. The landlord owes the hotel behind and i think the property where the kitchen is. It wasn't the source of the smell that is the large amount of drains at the back of the hotel next to our house, thy said they flushed the pipes to try and help the smell issue but my concern now is that the guest bedroom is potentially dangerous and i could have put our guests at harm.
I want advice on both of these issues.
Victoria

Alex Watts : Hello Victoria my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : I assume you have an assured shorthold tenancy for a private dwelling
Alex Watts : Have you Spoken to the council please?
JACUSTOMER-819gb10n- :

Hello Alex

JACUSTOMER-819gb10n- :

Yes I think that is what we have for the tenancy, web ave been tenants for coming up to 3 years now and I have not spoken to anyone yet, including the council

Alex Watts : Ok - do you have a list of outstanding works that needs to be done, together with photos etc?
JACUSTOMER-819gb10n- :

Sorry Alex, I was offline due to a holiday. The smell seems to have gone after they flushed the drains and the oven is being replaced. So the two outstanding issues I have questions on are the fact we had no oven for over a month and they knew about this and I had to chase. The second and more worrying issue is the potentially dangerous fumes coming directly into the bedroom. I have checked and the landlord owns all the property surrounding and their office is downstairs where the pipe is coming from and they did the extension so they would know where the outlet is with regards to the kitchen and bedroom window.

JACUSTOMER-819gb10n- :

As mentioned the drain engineer saw the pipe and was shocked that it was there, right next to the bedroom window, I didn't know what it was or that it could be dangerous. I just asked my landlord if this window was their property and they replied yes and have asked if there is a problem. They don't normally react this quickly so i wonder if they are worried. I want to know what are the best next steps to take.

JACUSTOMER-819gb10n- :

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-819gb10n- :

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-819gb10n- :

We are paying for a 3 bedroom house, we uses the main bedroom and one as the office but this one is the spare room and if is is unsafe then we can't use it. I am not sure what this means legally, hence the need for guidance here. Also our guest may have been put at risk in the bedroom and us in the kitchen!