12826847

My name is***** lent a friend a large amount

My name is***** lent a friend a large amount of money a few years ago and, while he has been paying small bits every so often, he has now stopped paying me. He said he would pay me £20 a week but has now stopped paying. He still owes me £3805. He has a weekly job and can afford this but doesn't seem to want to pay. I am starting to struggle financially and have discovered he has recently bought 2 cars, which I am really angry about. Please can you advise me what could be done at the lowest possible cost to me as I am out of work and on Emplyment Support Allowance.
My email address is *****@******.***
Whats the sum involved please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The total amount left owing is £3805. There was more than this but he has paid it back. He seems to have just forgotten that there is more to pay, but I don't know how to get the remaining amount off him. I was hoping that an official letter from yourself or someone else in authority may persuade him that I'm serious about wanting the rest paid back to me.

Are you willing to sue him if need be?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am wanting to get my money back but I don't want it to hit me financially if I had to pay costs at all, as I am currently on benefits. Basically as cheap as possible to me while hoping that I get my money back, so if it meant suing, then maybe, yes.

Ultimately you really only have two options. Either sue or write the money off as a bad debt.
You can always send him a letter before action giving him 14 days to resume payments and making clear that in default you will sue. Maybe it will work and maybe not but it is free to try and it doesn't prevent you suing.
Thereafter though, to recover you will have to sue. This is a small claims court sum so it wouldn't be that expensive to sue him. You can issue here
www.moneyclaim.gov.uk
Its going to be less than £100.
The problem is though that otherwise there is no way of enforcing this.