Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

"This is not a duplicate question. Please do not report"I

"This is not a duplicate question. Please do not report"
I took my car into a main dealer for a minor warranty repair and a service.
And received it back with 2/3 of a tank of fuel missing , 76 miles on the clock and the service book not stamped plus a major vibration noise.
The dealership and the manufacturer have had my vehicle for 9 months and I have been driving courtesy cars .
I now have asked for a replacement that's newer than my vehicle as I think nine months is excessive.
They said I have to give them 6000 pounds extra to change car. What can I do ????
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
Alex XXXXXX : My name is***** and I'm happy to help with your question today.
Alex XXXXXX : You may have a claim against the garage for failing to exercise reasonable skill and care under the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 and/or a claim that the car was not of satisfactory quality under the Sale of Goods Act 1979.
Alex XXXXXX : If you could break down the history of this problem in more detail, I will be able to analyse the facts and expand on my answer in a little bit more detail.
Customer :

Dear Mr XXXX

Thank you for your time on the telephone last night.

I have also been passed your e-mail to our XXXXXXXXXXXX office as I have primary responsibility for the Dealership here at XXXXXXXXXXXX.

Can I start by repeating my apologies for the time that it has taken to resolve the various issues you have raised regarding the performance of your car. It is my belief that we have acted in good faith throughout and have worked closely with the Technical Support team at Land Rover in order to try and resolve the vibrations. I am disappointed that we have not been able to get to the bottom of things before now.

As you did not buy the car from new or from a Land Rover main dealer we are unable to vouch for the full vehicle history, however under the terms of the warranty we have of course been working to complete a repair and have at all times provided you with alternative transport(either from Land Rover or directly from ourselves). As you know we have replaced many components under the warranty at no cost to yourself and indeed some of the delay has been whilst waiting for replacement parts. We believe the vibration has been cured since changing the exhaust, but we can produce a slight vibration under extreme test conditions and hence we invited you to test drive the car yourself. You declined to do so as you felt that if there is any trace of a vibration the car is not repaired and instead you have asked us to exchange the car for another. I have stated that a rejection of the vehicle needs to be taken back to the place from which you bought the car, Imperials. You have stated that you do not think there was a problem with the car before we worked on it and so you feel it is our responsibility. I reject the suggestion that we have caused this vibration and confirm that we have completed all works with our qualified technicians, genuine parts and under guidance from Land Rover Technical support .

In order to try and move this forward I have been working with Mindy at Land Rover to try and support a vehicle exchange for you and as promised last night, I have taken another look at the figures previously discussed and spoken again with Mindy at Land Rover.

You have identified a younger car with just 11100 miles at XXXXXXXX Land Rover in XXXXXXXX. Registration XXXXXXXXX. They have agreed to sell this to me at £49000 and I have agreed to sell it onto you for the same figure. I have checked today and am unable to buy this car for any less. I have reviewed my thoughts about your car and as a further goodwill gesture I am prepared to offer a little more if we can conclude this quickly. XXXXX has also agreed to increase the goodwill offer from Land Rover and so I am pleased to be able to improve on the figures we discussed yesterday to the extent of £2500. On this basis you would need to give us your car and £6000 to upgrade into this newer vehicle. This would be the full and final settlement with regard to your concerns about your car and would replace all previous goodwill offers.

This is the very best we can get to and so if this is not a figure we can agree then I will continue to work towards repair of your car and I will also look for another car from XXXXXXX stock that is not as new.

I hope that we can agree a way forward now and look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely

David

David XXXXXX

XXXXXX XXXXXXXX

XXX XXXXX XXXXXX XXXXX

XX XXXXXXX XXXX, XXXXX XXXXXX

XXXXXX. XXX XXX

XXX XXXXXXXX

From: XXXXX XXXXXXXX
Sent: 10 July 2014 09:20
To: ***** *****; Gary XXXXXX
Cc: Caroline XXXXXX
Subject: Customer Complaint - Martin Gray - GSLR Thames Ditton
Importance: High

From: martin gray [mailto:*****@******.***]
Sent: 09 July 2014 18:21
To: ***** *****
Subject: MY BAD EXPERIENCE WITH SYTNER : COMPLAINT

CC: *****@******.***
From: *****@******.***
Subject: Re: Range Rover YH11 LMX
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 18:56:59 +0100
To: *****@******.***

THIS EMAIL IS DESCRIBING THE EXPERIENCE IVE HAD WITH GUY SALMON IN XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX GROUP LAND ROVER OVER THE LAST 8 AND A HALF MONTHS.

HI MY NAME IS***** WOULD LIKE SOMEONE TO GET BACK TO ME TO DISCUSS THIS AS I HAVE FEEL I HAVE NOT BEEN TREATED FAIRLY WITH THIS DEALERSHIP.

THE DEALER PRINCIPLE KNOWS OF THIS EMAIL AND LIKE TO SPEAK TO HEAD OF CUSTOMER SERVICE REGARDING THIS MATTER.

THIS IS STILL AN ONGOING MATTER AND HAS NOT BEEN RESOLVED .

LAND ROVER HAVE RECEIPT OF THIS AS DETAILED BELOW

MY TEL NO IS XXXXXXXXX

PLEASE HELP AS YOU PRIDE YOUR SELVES ON CUSTOMER SERVICE I THINK YOU SHOULD ACT UPON THIS.

KIND REGARDS

XXXXXX XXXXXX

Hi XXXXXXX

Hi Mindy the vehicle was bought on 17/05/13 and had 20,811 miles

Sorry this is a long email.

Went to lookers land rover to get a rear window rubber changed and get a belt rubbing slipping noise fixed.

They changed rubber on rear window and said they treated belt with belt dressing . Found out later its wd40

In other words they didn't fix it .

So decided to try guy salmon Thames ditton to sort it out as I had no confidence in lookers.

Guy salmon changed belt and I was so happy that they found problem and sorted it, I instructed them to fully service the vehicle at a cost of £750

I also asked them have a looked at the drivers door speaker at it was tinny

This was all done before the vehicle was returned to me.

I collected the vehicle last thing nearly closing time on a Friday night

Found

1) steering wheel not straight

2) vibration and noise coming from vehicle when acceleration between 20 to 35 mph

3) 76 miles on odometer

4) two thirds of a tank of fuel missing.

5) Service book was not returned , later I got It back not stamped.

6) speaker not fixed

The vehicle then was returned to guy salmon and CCCC was the mechanic who worked on the vehicle for approximately two weeks.

I was asked to return to guy salmon and take it back as they said it was sorted but it was worse ! this was after me showing XXXX how this noise happens when you drive it as previously described.

He said it was a problem getting the gearbox to communicate with the engine management system.

Upon finding this I stopped vehicle and rang james in service department at guy salmon who told me they couldn't book in straight away and I'd have to come back in two weeks !

He then told me I could call land rover assist which I did they turned up the next day and told me to take it back straight away to guy salmon and arranged for another car from rental company.

25th of October first courtesy car

9th of November second courtesy car

A while later probably a month goes by as guy salmon where waiting for parts ,I was called back again to take car back.

This time I test drove it first and it was still the same but also there was damage to the near side front door outer seal rubber plus the speaker was the same.

James then said they who sort it out and replace door card as they exhausted all other available options and repair rubber plus take car back to try and resolve it again.

I asked to see service manager XXXXXXXXXXX which I did and he said he would assist james in getting the technicians to resolve the problems with the vehicle.

I also asked him was mr XXXXXXXX the dealer principle aware of this vehicle and the problems with it and he said

he did as had asked for him to contact me but he didn't.

As I was not getting anywhere with guy salmon I contacted land rover customer service and I spoke to XXXXXXXXXXXXX would offered me £500 pounds and he would liaise with guy salmon.

Then as I was in contact with him he was replaced with Amo.

I wanted to take my car to Ireland for Xmas but I was told by enterprise I could not . I expressed my dismay to Amo and he organised with my help for this to happen.

After I got back I asked Amo for a progress update as guy salmon kept saying they were waiting for parts.

Amo then got very dismissive and generally had a bad attitude with me after I said about taking independent advice.

So asked to speak to his line manager to which he said I couldn't and he would get his line manager XXXX to contact me within 24 hours. Which he did .

XXXX called me the next day to apologise for XXX and his behaviour and offered me two services as another good will gesture.

I had been initially dealing with XXXXX at guy salmon who offered me eventually a years warranty when I took the car back. XXXXX then was moved to the parts department

I then asked to speak to ***** ***** who took total control to solve this problem but to no avail.

Guy salmon asked me to come and pick up the car on the 26th of March as they said it was all resolved after they said they changed two turbos, one gearbox , two inlet manifolds , one transfer box and a catalytic converter.

I attended there the next day taking time of work to test drive car and upon entering vehicle found door card was not changed and the vehicle still had the same problem I complained about months ago.

Plus there was no full tank of fuel and warranty paperwork ready for me either.

So again had to take out head mechanic and one of the service team and show them once again the noise and vibration emanating from the vehicle that was the fourth time.

Ultimately I have no confidence in the vehicle and now would request a replacement. I have been very patient and tried very hard to help resolve this , I even took my employee to attend with me as a witness on multiple occasion who I obviously have to pay.

So again I would like to request an alternative vehicle of the same show room value,colour and mileage as of 5 months on the 9th of November ago as I think that is only fair.

I subsequently spoke to mr XXXXXXXX today as he said he never knew of this problem until Amo contacted him. I'm sure XXXXXXXXXXXX tried to contact him about this but can't prove it.

In the conversation he has dismissed a couple of my points saying that if I wanted to go to litigation which I don't that I should taking the vehicle back to imperials where I bought it. But I pointed out that the problem only manifested itself immediately after the vehicle was serviced at his dealership.

I would of thought that if land rover have offered me 3000 pounds towards another vehicle he would move heaven and earth to get me into a suitable white vehicle at least 5 months newer than mine with minimum the same equipment levels or more.

Considering the time effort and turmoil I have been going through this last 6 months with this Id like this resolved now as a matter of urgency

To give back my trust in land rover

I would of thought something could be done to put me in the vehicle I described above without further ado as I don't think on reflection id like mine back even though all of the work has been done to it and I told mr Edwards I might consider it back.

Yours faithfully XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Sent from my iPad

On 10 Apr 2014, at 13:11, "XXXXXXXXXXXXXX" <*****@******.***> wrote:

Dear Mr XXXX,

Many thanks for your email and I am sorry I missed your call earlier.

I have left a message for ***** ***** to call me with an update, he is currently in a meeting. As soon as I hear anything I will contact you. I will also advise ***** ***** to contact you directly to discuss further.

Thank you for your on-going patience in this matter.

Yours sincerely

Mindy XXXXXX

Executive Office
XXXXXX
Tel: XXXXXX XXXXXX

Jaguar Land Rover Limited
Registered Office: XXXXXX
Registered in England No: XXXXXX

Confidentiality Note: This electronic message contains information that may be confidential, legally privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. This information is intended for the use of the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, printing or any other use of, or any action in reliance on, the contents of this electronic message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and destroy the original message.

On 9 April 2014 19:45, Martin <*****@******.***> wrote:

Hi XXXXX
Hope your well I was anticipating a call today or a email with a progress update and or a response from Mr Edwards as we spoke early doors yesterday.
As you can imagine Id like to be kept in the loop.
If you could pop over a email I'd gratefully appreciate it.
Many thanks martin.

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ smartphone

---- XXXXXX XXXXXX wrote ----

Dear Mr XXXX,

Many thanks for your email.

Can you confirm any details of the vehicle you have seen at Stratstone? Also, which branch is it at? I don't have a vehicle in mind as the dealership are locating vehicles for you. However I can advise that on behalf of Land Rover, I am happy to contribute £3000 inclusive of VAT towards another vehicle as a goodwill gesture.

Yours sincerely

XXXXXX XXXXXX

Executive Office
Jaguar Land Rover
Tel: +XXXXXX XXXX

Jaguar Land Rover Limited
Registered Office: XXXXXX
Registered in England No:XXXXXXXX

On 7 April 2014 15:02, Martin <*****@******.***> wrote:

Hi XXXXX
Thanks for getting back to me those vehicles are nice but still not white. I have been looking at vehicles myself from Stratstone and they have a white autobiography with rear entertainment with the same specification as mine would you be able to look into that car please and what vehicle did you have in mind. ????

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ smartphone

---- XXXXX, XXXXX wrote ----

Dear Mr XXXX,

Further to our telephone conversation on Friday 4th April, please see email below from XXXXX XXXXXXX with regards ***** ***** replacement vehicle. Unfortunately he cannot locate a white vehicle for you but ha found two that may be appealing. I have requested for a contribution towards another vehicle and have yet to get a response.

Please advise on what you deicide to do or if you have another vehicle in mind let me know.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely

XXXXXX XXXXXX

Executive Office
Jaguar Land Rover
Tel:XXXXXX XXXXX

Jaguar Land Rover Limited
Registered OfficeXXXXXX
Registered in England No: XXXXXX

---------- Forwarded message ----------

From: XXXXXX XXXXXXX <*****@******.***>
Date: 4 April 2014 16:54
Subject: FW: Range Rover YH11 LMX
To: "XXXXXX XXXXXX" <*****@******.***>

Mindy

I cannot locate a white car, so I have looked at others and have these two suggestions from our Group stock.

Best regards

David

XXXXXX XXXXXX

Dealer Principal

XXXXXX XXXXX

XXXXXX

XXXXXX

XXXXXX XXXX

XXXXXX

Dear Mr XXXX

I have also been passed your e-mail to our Sytner Group office as I have primary responsibility for the Dealership here at Thames Ditton.

You have identified a younger car with just 11100 miles at XXXXXXXXXX Land Rover in Crawley. Registration XXXXXX. They have agreed to sell this to me at £49000 and I have agreed to sell it onto you for the same figure. I have checked today and am unable to buy this car for any less. I have reviewed my thoughts about your car and as a further goodwill gesture I am prepared to offer a little more if we can conclude this quickly. XXXXX has also agreed to increase the goodwill offer from Land Rover and so I am pleased to be able to improve on the figures we discussed yesterday to the extent of £2500. On this basis you would need to give us your car and £6000 to upgrade into this newer vehicle. This would be the full and final settlement with regard to your concerns about your car and would replace all previous goodwill offers.

This is the very best we can get to and so if this is not a figure we can agree then I will continue to work towards repair of your car and I will also look for another car from Sytner stock that is not as new.

Yours sincerely

David

XXXXXX XXXXXX

XXXXXX

XXXXXXXX

XXXXXX XX

XXXX. XXX XXX

XXX XXXXXXX

From: XXXXX XXXXXXXX
Sent: 10 July 2014 09:20
ToXXXXXX ; XXXXXX
Cc: XXXXXX XXXXX
Importance: High

Sent: 09 July 2014 18:21
To: ***** *****

CC: *****@******.***
From: *****@******.***
Subject: Re: Range Rover YH11 LMX
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 18:56:59 +0100
To: *****@******.***

THIS EMAIL IS DESCRIBING THE EXPERIENCE IVE HAD WITH GUY SALMON IN THAMES DITTON SYTNER GROUP LAND ROVER OVER THE LAST 8 AND A HALF MONTHS.

HI MY NAME IS***** I WOULD LIKE SOMEONE TO GET BACK TO ME TO DISCUSS THIS AS I HAVE FEEL I HAVE NOT BEEN TREATED FAIRLY WITH THIS DEALERSHIP.

MY TEL NO IS 07976973216

KIND REGARDS

MARTIN GRAY

Hi Mindy

Sorry this is a long email.

In other words they didn't fix it .

Found

1) steering wheel not straight

3) 76 miles on odometer

6) speaker not fixed

The vehicle then was returned to guy salmon and Carl was the mechanic who worked on the vehicle for approximately two weeks.

I was asked to return to guy salmon and take it back as they said it was sorted but it was worse ! this was after me showing Carl how this noise happens when you drive it as previously described.

25th of October first courtesy car

9th of November second courtesy car

I asked to see service manager ***** ***** which I did and he said he would assist james in getting the technicians to resolve the problems with the vehicle.

I also asked him was mr Edwards the dealer principle aware of this vehicle and the problems with it and he said

As I was not getting anywhere with guy salmon I contacted land rover customer service and I spoke to Thomas Holland would offered me £500 pounds and he would liaise with guy salmon.

So asked to speak to his line manager to which he said I couldn't and he would get his line manager Amar to contact me within 24 hours. Which he did .

Amar called me the next day to apologise for Amo and his behaviour and offered me two services as another good will gesture.

I had been initially dealing with james at guy salmon who offered me eventually a years warranty when I took the car back. James then was moved to the parts department

I subsequently spoke to mr Edwards today as he said he never knew of this problem until Amo contacted him. I'm sure Thomas holland tried to contact him about this but can't prove it.

To give back my trust in land rover

Yours faithfully Martin Gray

Sent from my iPad

On 10 Apr 2014, at 13:11, "Sidhu, Mindy" <*****@******.***> wrote:

Dear Mr Gray,

Yours sincerely

XXXXXX XXXXXXX

XXXXXXXX
Jaguar Land Rover
Tel:XXXXXX XX

Jaguar Land Rover Limited
Registered Office: Abbey Road, Whitley, Coventry CV3 4LF
Registered in England No: 1672070

Hi Mindy
Many thanks martin.

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ smartphone

---- Sidhu, Mindy wrote ----

Dear Mr Gray,

Many thanks for your email.

Yours sincerely

XXXXXX

Jaguar Land Rover Limited
Registered in England No: 1672070

Hi Mindy

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ smartphone

---- Sidhu, Mindy wrote ----

Dear Mr Gray,

Further to our telephone conversation on Friday 4th April, please see email below from ***** ***** with regards ***** ***** replacement vehicle. Unfortunately he cannot locate a white vehicle for you but ha found two that may be appealing. I have requested for a contribution towards another vehicle and have yet to get a response.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely

XXXXXX

Jaguar Land Rover Limited
Registered in England No: 1672070

---------- Forwarded message ----------

From: ***** ***** <*****@******.***>
Date: 4 April 2014 16:54
Subject: FW: Range Rover YH11 LMX
To: "Sidhu, Mindy" <*****@******.***>

Mindy

Best regards

David

XXXXXX

XXXXXXXX

Dear Mr Gray

You have identified a younger car with just 11100 miles at Harwoods Land Rover in Crawley. Registration CE62NGY. They have agreed to sell this to me at £49000 and I have agreed to sell it onto you for the same figure. I have checked today and am unable to buy this car for any less. I have reviewed my thoughts about your car and as a further goodwill gesture I am prepared to offer a little more if we can conclude this quickly. Mindy has also agreed to increase the goodwill offer from Land Rover and so I am pleased to be able to improve on the figures we discussed yesterday to the extent of £2500. On this basis you would need to give us your car and £6000 to upgrade into this newer vehicle. This would be the full and final settlement with regard to your concerns about your car and would replace all previous goodwill offers.

Yours sincerely

David

XXXXXX XXXX

XXX XXXXXX

From: XXXXXXXX
Sent: 10 July 2014 09:20
To: XXXXXX
Cc: XXXXXX XXXXX
Importance: High

Sent: 09 July 2014 18:21
To: ***** *****

CC: *****@******.***
From: *****@******.***
Subject: Re: Range Rover YH11 LMX
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 18:56:59 +0100
To: *****@******.***

MY TEL NO IS XXXXXXXX

KIND REGARDS

XXXXXX

Hi Mindy

Sorry this is a long email.

In other words they didn't fix it .

Found

1) steering wheel not straight

3) 76 miles on odometer

6) speaker not fixed

25th of October first courtesy car

9th of November second courtesy car

To give back my trust in land rover

Yours faithfully Martin Gray

Sent from my iPad

Dear Mr Gray,

Yours sincerely

XXXXXX

Jaguar Land Rover Limited
Registered in England No: 1672070

Hi Mindy
Many thanks martin.

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ smartphone

---- Sidhu, Mindy wrote ----

Dear Mr Gray,

Many thanks for your email.

Yours sincerely

XXXXXXXX

Jaguar Land Rover Limited
Registered Office: XXXXXXCoventry CV3 4LF
Registered in England No: 1672070

Hi Mindy

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ smartphone

---- Sidhu, Mindy wrote ----

Dear Mr Gray,

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely

Mindy Sidhu

Executive Office
Jaguar Land Rover
Tel: +44(0)1926 920379

Jaguar Land Rover Limited
Registered Office: Abbey Road, Whitley, Coventry XXX XXX
Registered in England No: XXXXXXX

---------- Forwarded message ----------

From: ***** ***** <*****@******.***>
Date: 4 April 2014 16:54
Subject: FW: Range Rover YH11 LMX
To: "Sidhu, Mindy" <*****@******.***>

Mindy

Best regards

David

XXXXXX

Alex Hughes : You have sent me numerous emails which will take an extraordinary amount of time to read and digest. You'll have to bear with me please while I do this.
Customer :

Ok thanks Alex

Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience: Partner in national law firm
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
I have to say that I am finding it very difficult to follow the chain of events. I will continue going through the information you've supplied.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I KNOW ITS A LOT TO GO THROUGH ALEX THANKS FOR YOU R TIME WITH THIS.