How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 69367
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I accidently paid £1100 TWICE for a second hand car, private

Customer Question

I accidently paid £1100 TWICE for a second hand car, private seller. The seller accepts that he has received the money twice but has ignored all my letters for the past month. What 'crime' his he guilty of and how should I proceed.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

How did you come to pay twice please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I purchased the car on e-bay and paid immediately by bank transfer.


On a further visit to e-bay whist paying for another item I failed to notice that 'pay all items' was active and a second payment was made.


The seller lives locally and has accepted that he has received 2 payments but has ignored all my letters and calls for the last 6 weeks.


He claimed to have sent me a cheque by recorded delivery ( I had already sent him an SAE), but there has been no trace of this at my local main post office. and he has not replied to my request that he try to trace the cheque from his end.



Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Looking forward to your reply.



Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay.

Are you prepared to sue him?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes - I was going to use the online small claim procedure which I have used before and am very happy with.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Yes, that is exactly the right thing to do.

You do need to send him a letter before action first. I realise that you may have warned him already but its important to follow procedure. Just send him one letter setting down that if he does not pay within 7 days of the date of the letter you will sue and claim costs and interest.

Probably that is all you will need to do as he will then pay.

If he does not then sue him here

and reclaim your costs and interest at 8%.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What am I sueing him for? What offence against me has he committed?

Theft? Fraud? That is all I need to know to start proceedings.




Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
You don't need to cite law at the small claims court. You just set down the facts and the Judge will apply the law

Its a conversion though.

I wouldn't go down the road of making allegations of theft.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice