12826847

My friend has a laptop that she bought software for from a

My friend has a laptop that she bought software for from a company. The company has contacted her to say they detected cracked versions on her laptop. She thinks there may be a cracked version but it was not installed by her and since I she payed for the software it is not her intention of using cracked software. They have asked her to report back to them. ...What advice can you give me? As she does not want to get sued or fined
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Should she get rid of her laptop as she doesn't want to get sued and what should she say to the software company? What can the company legally do to sue her or seize her laptop?

When you say cracked software you mean copyrights? Or pirated?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

pirated

Whether she is willing to get rid of the laptop or not is a matter for her really. It obviously will not stop them pursuing this if they are intent. What it might do is stop the police seizing this and therefore being able to prove that this software is pirated but that is not all that likely to happen anyway.
If she is saying that she did not know that this software was pirated then it would be sensible to just respond with that information and offer the details of any person who might help them. They have no evidence that she did know and its not all that consistent with the action of sending a laptop in for their inspection.
If they will not relent then she can always defend this at court. The plain fact remains there is no evidence that she was responsible for this.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So she should admit she found pirate software installed on her computer but that she is not responsible for it? The company asked that she not uninstall the software as this would be tampering with evidence. Should she remove the software?

Well, she can only tell the truth.
But if that is the truth then that is helpful.
No, on no account tamper with evidence. That is a lot more serious than the substantive offence.