UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Hello, May I ask: if I had a power of attorney acting for me,

Customer Question

Hello, May I ask: if I had a power of attorney acting for me, who took all my financial details from my home, and had my post redirected to their adress. I then asked for it to be returned via Social Service and my request ignored, have I right to ask, has the POA a duty to return? If so to whom should I subsequently go to for help, please.
This has happened to a member of my family who has subsequently died a very unhappy person. Many thanks!!
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

The power of attorney may be revoked at any time by the person who made it and yes, the attorney has a duty to return the donor's belongings if requested to do so by the donor.

A report may be made to the police against the attorney if the attorney fails to return the belongings.

A different solicitor's practice may also be appointed to deal with this issue if the original one is no longer working for the practice.

Hope this helps