Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

My father has made a will but he is now in a nursing home.

My father has made a will but he is now in a nursing home. he has less than £5000 in his bank account but still owns his own house which will be sold upon his death and the proceeds from this sale will be distributed between his step children and myself ( ia m his son and along with my wife we are excuters named in the will. Do we still have to apply for probate or can we deal with this directly ourselves as it should be a simple excercise.
(My father has no debt whatsoever). I look forward to your reply.
***** *****
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Probate is normally required if there is over £5,000 sitting in any Bank account, so this may not be a problem.

However, in order fo ryou to sell your Father's house, the Buyers Solicitor and the Land Registry will require to see the Probate. Indeed, as you and your Wife are Executors, and hence be selling the Property, you will need to obtain Probate before Contracts are exchanged.

I hope this helps and answers your question.

Kind Regards

AL