75100385

What is the definition of your family as far as an insurance

Customer Question

What is the definition of 'your family' as far as an insurance document is concerned? I am thinking about taking out pet insurance ( for a dog) and the policy says that it will not provide third party cover if the dog is being cared for by a member of 'your family'. The situation I wish to cover is if I go on holiday (Max two weeks) I may wish my son or my daughter to care fore the dog - both are adult , married, living at different address' and have families of their own - are they still members of my family in this context?Thanks
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : It is best to clarify with the insurers as to the term before you take it out,
Alex Watts : But generally it does mean immediate family, so son, daughter etc.
Alex Watts : But they may exclude this at a different address, so you should check with them.
Alex Watts : It should say in their policy conditions
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer:

Hi Alex - Talking to the insurer you only get a call centre and I dont think the operatives there really know any detail - they just pressurise you to sign up!. I read the whole policy document and 'your family' ( together with other terms) is put in bold type throughout so I thought there would be a section on definitions of terms but there wasn't - hence my question. I saw online an American definition that said 'a group of people related by blood or marriage at a single address' but nothing similar in UK.

Alex Watts : Is a matter of contract in this case. There should be in their terms and conditions a definitions paragraph
Alex Watts : This should detail what is meant by your family.
Alex Watts : As it is a matter of contract at this stage, not law you need to get them to define the exact term and what it means.
Alex Watts : Does that clarify for you?
Customer:

As I said - no definitions in the policy document as supplied when you sign up - I'll ask for more detail from the company.

Customer:

Happy to help