75100385

Ive just received a call from the local police station to

I've just received a call from the local police station to say my daughter was arrested at 4 pm for theft. She spoke to me but was not allowed to say when or where or anything in connection with the arrest. She 19. They will question her about 10pm
What can I go ? Never ever been in trouble before !
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Does she have a Solicitor present with her please?

Customer:

No

Alex Watts :

Ok -she will have been given the option

Alex Watts :

In reality if she is over 18 you can't do anything

Alex Watts :

It is all down to her

Alex Watts :

She can have a Solicitor and ask for one at any time but it is her decison

Alex Watts :

I dont know the circumstances but of course she may have done it and admit the offence

Alex Watts :

If it is low value and she has no previous they may offer her a caution.

Alex Watts :

But sadly there is very little you can do. She is old enough to look after herself and make her own decisions as to whether or not she wants or indeed needs legal advice.

Alex Watts :

Customer:

We have absolutely no detail of the offence at this stage nor do I know where to find a solicitor at this time of night !

Alex Watts :

The Police have a rota for duty Solicitors

Alex Watts :

She can have advice at any time, but she may not want to

Alex Watts :

You wont be entitled to know details of the offence, just where she is sadly

Customer:

Thanks. I need to find out more ...very uncharacteristic of her.

Alex Watts :

Yes. She may or may not have done it.

Alex Watts :

If she did and has been caught, then so be it

Alex Watts :

But if she did not then she can say why and the Police will question, release and then consider what steps to take next

Alex Watts :

But they must have thought she had otherwise they would not have arrested.

Alex Watts :

But there is no point speculating.

Alex Watts :

At least you know she is safe even if at Police station

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else?

Alex Watts :

If not might I invite you to rate my answer

Alex Watts :

If the system wont let you please do say

Alex Watts :

If you need more help please click reply

Customer:

Sorry Alex I'm on mobile phone. Can I get a solicitor to visit her at my request ?

Customer:

Also how long can they keep her ?

Alex Watts :

Its her decision.

Alex Watts :

She can ask for one.

Alex Watts :

She is not likely to be there for very long

Alex Watts :

They can keep for up to 24 before deciding whether to charge or release

Alex Watts :

Please see:

Alex Watts :

https://www.gov.uk/arrested-your-rights/when-youre-arrested

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

Customer:

Thank you. May I come back to this chat or reference at a later time or date ?

Alex Watts :

Yes. Once you rate the question remains open despite what the site says

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else?

Customer:

Thanks Alex. That's all for now.

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Alex. My daughter was finally released at 3 am. She accepted help from duty solicitor and answered 'no comment' to questions put to her. She has been asked to attend at her employers this afternoon. My instinct is to go with her and plead they drop charges and make goodwill payment. She has not pleaded guilty but apparently there is C CTV . Would this be wise or will she incriminate herself ? She has mitigating factors such as recent bereavement, antidepressants and break - up. Not making excuses but she hasn't been herself and this is uncharacteristic of her.

Sadly that is not a defence unless you can show she did not know what she was doing and even then you would need a psychiatric report. I would not go to work, it could make things work.
It may be that the Police give her a caution if she offers to pay back.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Alex.

My daughter was charged by the police of theft. To appear in court 30th July. She made no comment at the police station, however she was interviewed at work before police were called, where she made an admission to a store personnel who accosted her without caution and said they had evidence. She has resigned from her job in writing and had it handed in;, but yesterday received an invite from the store to a disciplinary hearing on Friday. Can she be forced to attend, since she's handed in resignation ?

Yes she can resign and not attend,
I hope this helps.