How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask JGM Your Own Question

JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 11015
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Hello , I recently was fined £100 fixed penalty for speeding

Customer Question

Hello ,
I recently was fined £100 fixed penalty for speeding which I paid ,I however did not send my licence off as I didnt realize I had to.I have now had my payment refunded and told I will receive a court summons to appear in court on 13th aug ,I want to plead guilty and not go to court but will be away and need my licence whilst on holiday what are my options?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

You should instruct a solicitor to appear in court for you and if necessary have the case continued for a personal appearance although your solicitor may be able to deal with the case in your absence given that the case only went to court because of your failure to include your licence in the response to the fixed penalty.

Hope this helps. You will have to pay a solicitor to deal with this but if you are not able to appear yourself you have no alternative. You do want to avoid an apprehension warrant at all costs.

Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is there any chance they can change the date ?

I don't really want to incur the cost of a solicitor .

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
No, it requires an appearance to move for an adjournment.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

so if i plead guilty by post will i have to send my licence ?


Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Yes you will. Unfortunately, you will have to accept that this matter is more important than your holiday or other arrangements in respect that you have now been prosecuted and have been summonsed to appear before a court.

That is why I advise that you instruct a solicitor to seek an adjournment. If you don't want to do so or can't afford to do so then you will have to appear in person with your licence.

Because this was not dealt with properly at the outset, this now a criminal a court matter and you do have to give it the priority and gravitas that such proceedings bring. The consequences of not doing so could involve a warrant being granted for your apprehension and you would be better to avoid that if possible.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice