12826847

Divorce and properties

Customer Question

Hi My husband and I are getting divorced. He is into property and has 15 properties in his name - some he had before we met and some bought since we were together. I have two properties in my name one bought with money my grandmother left me and one bought by my parents but put in my name. He is seriously in debt and all his properties have been mortgaged to the hilt and are all in negative equity. My two properties have equity left. My question is should I just take my own two properties when we divorce and leave the rest to him? I am worried that if it went to court I would end up losing mine and my parents house because they have equity in them. On the other hand in 20 years time, if house prices rise, the 15 houses may be worth quite a lot of money which I will have lost out on.  Also if he declared bankruptcy before the divorce would that have any effect Thank you

How long have you lived together and are there any children involved?
What is the actual equity in the properties - and what income do you each have?