Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

my husband died last week do i need to complete an inheritance

my husband died last week do i need to complete an inheritance tax form even though we had mirror wills and everything is left to the surviving spouse and is below the threshold.
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

I am sorry to hear of your loss.

If your husband left an Estate over £5,000 it will normally be necessary for you, as Executor, to obtain Probate, as the Banks etc will not release any monies to you until they have seen the Probate.

When applying for Probate, you will also need to complete Form IHT 205, which sets out the assets your husband had and any liabilities.

If all of your assets were in joint names, no application for Probate will be necessary.

A local Probate Solicitor will be able to assist you with the above. If you wish to apply for Probate without using a Solicitor, you can do so, by contacting yur local Probate Registry, who will send you the necessary forms.

I hope this helps but please let me knowe if you require any further clarification.

Kind Regards

AL