12826847

DRIVING YESTERDAY ON A MOTORWAY AT APPROX 75-78 MPH, NOT SURE

Customer Question

DRIVING YESTERDAY ON A MOTORWAY AT APPROX 75-78 MPH, NOT SURE IF IT WAS A POLICE VEHICLE OR A VOSA VAN, I AM ALSO WORRIED THAT I WAS READING A PIECE OF PAPER WITH DIRECTIONS FOR A SLIGHT MOMENT WHEN PASSING THIS VEHICLE. JUST CONCERNED WHAT THEY COULD FINE ME/GIVE POINTS FOR THIS INCIDENT IF IT WAS A POLICE VEHICLE? WORRIED TO DEATH ABOUT THIS AS I DRIVE FOR A LIVING AND ALREADY HAVE 3 POINTS.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Are you concerned about the speeding or the reading please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

both, just needed to know if you had to be actually stopped by the police for the reading side of it? and what i could expect to receive in the way of fine/points if it actually was a police vehicle.

it depends.

Was this a vehicle parked in a layby?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes

But it was not a marked police vehicle?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Wasnt sure if the vehicle was a police landrover or a VOSA (vehicle checking, non speeding purpose vehicle) landrover
.

In a nutshell then it was a marked vehicle of some form but we just cannot be sure which.

If this was a police vehicle then they would need to use a laser gun to capture your speed. VASCAR vehicles need to pursue a person to measure their speed. If this was a laser gun then they don't need to stop you at the time. They can send out a NIP within 14 days of the offence to legitimise the prosecution.

I wouldn't worry about the reading. They will have no evidence of that from a parked vehicle at the roadside. The only issue will be speeding.

If this was 75-78 mph in a 70 mph zone though then it would only attract 3 points even if you were prosecuted.