29905560

i am 49 years of age . when i was a juvenile 1978-1981 i was

i am 49 years of age . when i was a juvenile 1978-1981 i was given a care order and a 3 month detention centre sentence for stealing a car and a burglary. i have had my convictions stepped down.
I have an e passport , i visited USA in 2007 , not sure what forms i filled in , i want to go back to USA next year not sure if i put down i have a criminal record , can you help please
Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Were you arrested at the time?

Customer:

yes to the best of my memory i was arrested in this period about 5 times

Ben Jones :

You do not have a criminal record but you will be expected to apply for a visa to visit the USA because you have been convicted of a crime involving moral turpitude (burglary) and you were also arrested at some point in your life. Both of these make you ineligible to apply for visa-free travel to the US and you would need to declare these on your application. This means you would be expected to visit the US Embassy for an interview with an immigrations officer before a decision is made on whether you should be granted a visa to travel. As this is an historic offence that happened some time ago and assuming you have remained out of trouble since, it should not seriously affect your chances of getting a visa

Customer:

thank you , i have stayed out of trouble since . do i simply apply for a visa , or do i still fill in esta . and to the best of my knowledge record my crimes .

Ben Jones :

You are not eligible for ESTA so you will have to go directly for a visa application

Customer:

thank you for your help.

Ben Jones :

you are most welcome