Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I was recently refused entry to eat in a place which I had

I was recently refused entry to eat in a place which I had been using as part of my shopping experience.
The refusal was given by the person to whom the contract was given to run the cafe establishment.
I thought it rather odd as I have never been refused in such a way previously in my life. I am 48 years old and have only ever been barred from one pub and that was not my fault either.
Is there any way around this situation as I have not been given a reason for this refusal.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
Legally they are not allowed to refuse to serve you without some good or plausible reason. As you have not suffered any loss, suing them is really not worth the time or effort.
What I suggest you do is ask for a written explanation or apology. If they refuse them make a complaint to your local branch of Trading Standards www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/
I look forward to hearing from you.
AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just rang the garden center and the owner was busy with a customer. I got a useless employee who knows nothing and cannot help a cucumber get bigger even when he waters it.

Regardless, should I be drafting a complaint to the owner of the garden center who awarded the contract to Smiley, requesting a reason be given, or to Smiley the Ahem, "Chef" and thing that runs the cafe?

Obviously I shall be more careful how I word the complaint.

David.

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.
If you want to pursue this further I would certainly consider putting something in writing.
Write to the Garden Center and explain the incident that occurred and that you were excluded without explanation.
The most important thing is you do not make any allegations that are deemed defamatory towards the cafe. They are the ones that have behaved incorrectly and therefore you simply need to say that you were unfairly treated and you would like an explanation as to why and what will be done about it in the future?
AJ