12826847

Hi. I suspected my girlfriend was a cheat. So I sent up a

Customer Question

I suspected my girlfriend was a cheat.
So I sent up a fake email account (twice) and pretended to be
A guy she knew. I sent her a few emails (which she responded too) some explicit to see if she would engage.
She did not respond. However has gone to the police and told them that two individuals have sent her unwanted messages. In the replies she never stated they were unwanted. She just stopped replying.
The police are investigating.
All i did was try to see if she would engage in the emails from a fake account. If the police trace the two accounts to me what trouble I am I looking at?
Does sue have a history of doing this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My giirlfriend has a history of cheating.

I don't have a history of this although was given a caution for assault against a girlfriend 4 years ago

No, sorry. I meant calling the police to trivial matters?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. I don't think so.

But could I be charged with harassment?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What I'm concerned about is....

I sent up two fake email accounts and sent her messages to pretending to be someone else? Fake names etc

The messages were responded to. But some of the messages were explicit. Could I be charged with harassment?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What I'm concerned about is....

Yes, you could. It only takes two instances of contact. You dont have to use your own details.
If there was a response then harassment is probably not the best charge though. Malicious communication is more likely although that depends on how explicit they were.
This comes down though to whether or not they are going to be willing to trace the emails back to you. Its quite time consuming for them to do that unless you have literally used your own name. Its quite unlikely that they will investigate IP addresses. Unless they do there is no connection to you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, yes messages were pretty explicit in a sexual matter only.

She has a history of cheating and wanted to catch her out.

Messages were non threatening nor horrible. They just examined sexual content about what one would want to do to another in descriptive writing.

Two email accounts I used.since I have deleted and deactivated.

She told me the police are investigating to find out who the messages are sent from. If the are investigating.... what can I do?

I never ment to brake the law I was just trying to catch a cheering partner. Would throwing my phone and laptop into the local river help?

Please advise if police coming knockin

Well, as I've said really.
The messages do sound as though they may offend.
The question is whether they are going to trace them to you. Its quite time consuming for them to do that unless you have literally used your own name. Its quite unlikely that they will investigate IP addresses. Unless they do there is no connection to you.
For two emails of a suggestive but non threatening nature the police are not going to deploy that much manpower. They will be saving all of that for domestic squabbles and neighbour disputes
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She said they are going to investigate

Yes, they will investigate.
The question is whether they are going to trace it to you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How easy is it for them to trace it to me

I think I've really covered that above and I'm worried about wasting your time by repeating myself.
It depends whether you used your own details to open the account.
I'm happy to continue with this but please leave feedback for my answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi....

The email address was just random with a random name.

Name on account was fake too.

Although I had to use my current email account to verify the opening.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

In your first reply you asked if she had a history of calling the police on trivial matters. Why did you ask that?

Suppose the police do investigate, and they trace the emails back to me?

Could you please advise me on a form of defensive?

What I should do and say?

I need to know how the law stands on this so I can be fully prepared in case they come knocking.

Its not all that likely they would do much more than check the details given at the time that the account was opened. They could but its not probable.

You don't have any defence on the facts here. Its a case of offering a no comment interview in the hope they cannot link the messages to you.

They could check that simply by looking at IP addresses but its not likely that would happen. These are low level offences and its not going to get priority treatment.