12826847

I signed to be guarantor for my son and his wife to be able

I signed to be guarantor for my son and his wife to be able to rent a property and have now received a letter telling me I owe for rent arrears plus all kinds of damage to the property -should I have been Informed of the arrears etc as soon as they occurred ?
Do you dispute the allegations?
Is your son working?
I suppose it did take place within your guarantee period?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have not seen the property but intend to request photos to be sent to me my son is not working I will ask for acopy of guatantee

You should check all of that. I'm afraid there is no obligation upon the landlord to inform the guarantor of a default. It would have been nice if they had done that because then you could have taken preventative action but despite that there is no legal requirement.
Its a case really of trying to minimise the damage. All for sight of the damage and proof of any arrears.
Also, remember that this has to be shown to have been caused during your guarantor period. If not, then you are not liable.
You can always recover if you have to pay by suing your son. I do realise that is unrealistic but it is an option for you.
Can I clarify anything for you? I'm just off for an hour but I will be back soon.