My son has been pulled up by social services and the police for reprimanding his step son over lying. The child went to school and said his step father hit him round the head. Yes he give him a clip round the ear but it was not child beating as they are trying to make out. Since the incident the child has gone to his father in wales. We have contacted a solicitor who will represent him later today when he is interviewed under caution. They have said they suspect that it will be just a caution but I'm aware that this can cause serious issues in the future. There is no evidence no marks the child has 100% attendance at school and is well looked after and a straight a student of 12yrs old. Can you advise what will happen if he does not accept the caution as this will affect his employment.
His partner the child's Mother
She has spoken to a civilian police investigator who came to the house but it was not a formal interview and nothing was written down. Further she went and spoke to the school prior to going to the house. I believe their was a police liaison officer at the school when the child was telling them what had happened. this was prior to the Mother being asked to attend the school.
I should have mentioned that the child has stated 4 other incidents when he has been push or clip round the ear this is over a 10 year period. Also he does not feel the Mother supports him against the my son.
Therefore what should he say " that he felt it was reasonable chastisement " and that he does not accept the charge and if so what will be the next step
They are also saying that you must never hit a child round the head only bottom or legs
No the child is saying the mother does not support him
The mother has said that it did happen they asked if the child cried and he did not and she did not think it was unreasonable
As I say there were no marks or bruises it was not unfair as the child had bullied his 6yr old sister into taking the blame. There has also been issues with the child wanting to live with his father that the mother has opposed
Thanks for that advice I think we now know what to do although it is still unclear what the procedure is if he does not accept the caution.
Apparently the mother has said that my son did clip the child and they did write that down. However this was not under caution. In your opinion what would be the best thing to do or say saying nothing after this could be seen as guilt
We went to the police station and there was no caution on offer. He is being summons to Hastings magistrates court probably at the end of September. The child had written three pages of evidence at the school mostly not true. The solicitor advised my son to give a no comment interview under caution on Saturday. I am unsure what will happen now. I assume the magistrate will decide if it needs to go to crown court and I am unsure if he will have to do an statement prior to this to the court. We are really worried my son is in a terrible state and had a panic attack afterwards and had to go to the hosipital. I should also mention he has no previous convictions of any kind. Not sure if you can give any more advice?
Thank you! I am just unsure will the summons show what he is charged with and will he have the opportunity to do a statement prior to going to magistrates court.
Thank you it seems that we have to wait now until he receives the summons. Either way it looks as though he can not win. Can you tell me if the CPS will be involved before he receives the summons and if so I would think this will determine his plea.
Further they have had social services contact them again and say this is just a bump in the road. I find it very difficult to believe they have said that. They are willing to take parenting classes but both my son and his partner are so devastated about this issue they are both on tranquilizers and my son has been signed off for 2 weeks as he is in such state.
The child has given 3 pages of written evidence mostly untrue. This was done at the school before his Mother was called and they did not know about it until my son was interviewed under caution.
The childs Father has been in contact telling them that he is speaking to SS but SS are saying they are not in contact with him. All very muddled at the moment and unclear what will happen. My son is very worried that he will lose his job at AMEX he has a very good job with good career prospects in the future. They have been very supportive and he has been able to access counselling through them. However it is good to check with you if we are being given the right advice. I have learnt it is better to have 2 opinions than just one in a situation like this.