Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

Islamic marriage

Customer Question

Dear
I'm married to my husband in an Islamic way (Islamic marriage in the mosque in the UK) with a marriage certificate from the mosque. I'm Iranian and my husband is Irish. We didn't have a uk registered marriage as I only believe in Islamic marriage and don't tend to register unless my family also present for registration and right now they do not have visa to enter the UK
I'm applying to the dental council to get my degree recognised. They have asked me if I can provide them with evidence that the marrige has been registered in the uk. For example a certified copy of a marrige certificate and if that not possible to explain why
My questions
1)Is certificate of marriage from the uk mosque not sufficient?
2) what could I provide them as valid reason(s) for not registering my marriage in the UK
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
My name is Alex Hughes and I'm happy to help with your question today.

1 The Islamic marriage is not recognised in the UK. It has to be registered at a civil ceremony;

2 We cannot give you a reason to put forward. The best thing to do is be truthful about the situation.

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
I received a message to say that you had requested me. Do you require any further assistance? If not please remember to take a moment to rate my answer. Have a good day.