75100385

Hi, I think I may have been caught speeding by a mobile police

Hi, I think I may have been caught speeding by a mobile police van two days ago. It was in a 30 zone but in a rural area in Warwickshire. I had turned on to the road and was accelerating when I saw the van, I immediately took my foot off the accelerator and glanced down at my speedo and was shocked to see I was doing over 45! I don't know why I was driving so fast - had been distracted that morning and obviously not taking the care I normally would (in 23 years of driving I have never had any points on my licence). I have 3 children and live in a rural area and being without my car would be a nightmare but I'm now really worried in case I am facing a ban. I'm 99% certain that I wasn't doing over 50 but can't say for sure exactly how fast I was going at that moment before I saw the van and began to decelerate. How long does it usually take to find out if I've been caught (the suspense is killing me!) and what would be the likely penalty?
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Have you had an NIP yet please?
Customer: No...nothing received yet. It only happened on Thursday morning so till early days. As I said earlier, I've never had any road traffic convictions before (or any other convictions for that matter!) and normally am
Customer: careful to stick to within the speed limits and can't really explain why I was going so quickly on that occasion. The road used to be a 40 zone but was reclassified as a 30 around 12 to 18 months ago. I would guess I was doing around 47 but it could have been more as there was a slight delay between me seeing the van, taking my foot off the pedal and then looking at the speedo. Just really hoping I can avoid a summons and get away with just 3 points - I think it's highly unlikely if be offered an SAC.
Customer: Hi, did you get my reply?
Customer: No need to give advice now as I have done the research myself...was taking too long to get your reply I'm afraid and
Customer: Couldn't wait any longer. Anyway seems like either 3 or 6 points is what I am likely to receive. Thanks anyway for offering to answer my query.
Alex Watts : Sorry for the delay I have been doing other work.
Alex Watts : If you have no previous you may be offered the driver improvement course.
Alex Watts : If you get the NIP you should ask for this.
Alex Watts : but you should get the NIP within 14 days, if not it will be out of time.
Alex Watts : So if you get it 20 days later you know it's out of time.
Alex Watts : But otherwise it's 3-6 points and a fine.
Alex Watts : i would think given the speed and you have no previous you would be given 3 points.
Alex Watts : but ask for the course if you get the nIp
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please ?
Customer: So is there somewhere on the NIP then where you can ask to do the speed awareness course,; a box to tick or a comments section?
Alex Watts :

There is not, but if you get it I would certainly call and ask

Alex Watts :

Especially given you have no previous

Alex Watts :

But it may be the speed was too high for you to qualify

Alex Watts :

But no harm in asking

Alex Watts :

its a day of your life and £100 (or whatever the charge is), but at least no points

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Customer: No that's all thanks.