Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

Have I been unwittingly involved in a scam? Last December I

Have I been unwittingly involved in a scam? Last December I bought in good faith 2 tickets to the Edinburgh Military Tattoo the address on the confirmation was in Spain anyhow after numerous e-mails with those concerned plus a phone call I was informed local agents in the UK would be responsible for posting them out to me mid-July. On receiving the tickets at last yesterday the people responsible have not only charged me double for the tickets £150 when the tickets are clearly priced at £38 but they have also come in the name of a local coach company instead of mine, surely this is not right. Any advice on this matter would be welcome
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
Did you agree to the £150 price for the tickets? Do the tickets say "Not for resale" or something similar on them?
AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi AJ

I paid the £150 for the tickets as I assumed that was the correct price for them, I had no reason to query the price when I ordered them via their website. All transactions were done on-line. Only on the back of the tickets under terms and conditions does it state that tickets resold or offered for resale by anyone else other than The Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo or one of its authorised agents then the ticket will become void. When I received the tickets there was a slip of paper stating that the tickets had been purchased via confidential contracts and details were not to be disclosed of this transaction to any third parties as they would not be responsible if the tickets were invalidated

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
The price I am afraid is not so much the issue. They are entitled to agree what they like in terms of the price. It is not an offence to sell the tickets for more than the face value.
The issue is as you were acting as consumer therefore it is implied that they have the right to re sell the tickets. They clearly do not - I suspect what has happened is someone from the coach company has sold them and they have ended up in the hands of a ticket exchange.
Your options are:
1. Keep quiet and try and use the tickets anyway;
2. Demand a refund;
3. Make a complaint to Trading Standards www.tradingstandards.gov.uk
Have you asked for a refund?
AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi again

No I haven't asked for a refund as not being happy about what has occurred I do not like the idea of giving my bank details again to someone I don't really trust as also the monies that I gave them went into a Spanish bank account as it was exchanged into euros, so I may try and contact my local Trading Standards office and see what they have to say as these people are making hundreds of pounds if not thousands out of people like me.

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
I realise the money went to a Spanish account but is the company based in England?
You could:
1. Check with the local coach company whether they lawfully sanctioned the sale of the tickets; or
2. Report it as a fraud as well to the police?
I look forward to hearing from you.
AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The address on the confirmation that I printed off is in Murcia, Spain, it gives an international phone number aswell as a UK number which is apparently for an office in London. If you go on their web-site www.EdinburghTattoo Tickets.com you will find the address on there. I rang Eddie Brown coach company yesterday but they are closed on a week-end so I was going to ring back again tomorrow. I have just looked on their web-site the only tour to Scotland and the Tattoo is not until August 20th

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
If the coach company say that they consent to you using the tickets then there should not really be an issue, other than they have been sold against the terms and conditions.
I look forward to hearing from you.
AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Alex

Sorry not e-mailed back been busy. I phoned the coach company yesterday who said they purchased the tickets on behalf of someone else as they are an authorised agent for the Edinburgh Tattoo and said that once they pass the tickets over they wont know what happens to them, but they said that if for some reason they cannot use all the tickets up that they have purchased then it seems they are selling them on to a ticket exchange ie. Ticket Queen. I have been assured that my tickets are legitimate tickets and I should be able to use them next week-end. The coach company also advised me to ring Edinburgh to ensure that I can use the tickets which my husband did for me and there doesn't seem to a problem, so fingers crossed. Thanks for all your advice over the last couple of days, I don't think we need to take the matter any further unless we are refused entry next week-end and just put it down to experience and for me to more vigilant next time when doing anything similar on the internet.

Once again "Thank-you"

Mrs ***** *****ming

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
I hope you are able to enjoy the show.
As the Coach Company are named on the tickets and have advised it is ok to use them, I think that is sufficient consent for them to be valid.
AJ
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience: Solicitors 2 years plus PQE