Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

Hi I received a document headed as a quote but in the detailed

I received a document headed as a quote but in the detailed wording they are stating this was an estimate. I paid the amount and in my letter referenced the"quote". The company is now asking for additional payment. How do I stand by referring to this as a quote and therefore not having to pay the additional fees please?
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Alex Hughes :

My name is***** and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.

Alex Hughes :

how much is the difference between the quote and estimate?

Customer:

Original £942

Customer:

Additional £552

Customer:

The additional is for parts - which was not clearly identified as not included in the quote

Alex Hughes :

I see. And presumably you have received those parts?

Customer:

Not yet - these are for a repair

Customer:

I was trying to avoid claming on my insurance for an accident I had by paying for the repair

Alex Hughes :

There is no legal definition of a "quote" or "estimate". We have to apply an everyday meaning. A quote is understood by all as a an agreement to provide a service for a fixed price. An estimate is flexible and is to give a general idea. You can hold the seller to the quote as that was the basis of the agreement between you. But what that means is that the seller does not have to supply the addiitonal service or parts which were not mentioned in the quote.

Customer:

The quote does state Supply and fit of parts,

Alex Hughes :

It could be a mistake. And by the sounds of it they were giving you an estimate not a fixed quote. It would be difficult to enforce an agreement based on a genuine mistake.

Customer:

Ok Thanks