Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

How do I word a disclaimer for some activities that children

How do I word a disclaimer for some activities that children will be taking part in?
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Alex Hughes :

My name is***** and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.

Alex Hughes :

What do you wish to exclude from liability?

Customer:

I am an After School Care and Holiday Care provider and for the past 4 years i have been with the same insurance company who have insured my setting to provide all sorts of play opportunities as long as they have been risk assessed, are age appropriate, supervised by childcare/playwork qualified staff and have the appropriate child to staff ratios. The activities included tree climbing, ropeswing construction, stream walking, dambuilding,camp fires and camp cooking, touch rugby, bike and scooter riding, water play/slides/fights etc. They informed me 3 weeks ago that they are no longer offering insurance for my type of setting and I have been struggling to find like for like insurance. As Holiday sessions start on Mon, I have been forced to take insurance from a best fit point of view and they have told me to write a disclaimer for the activities that they don't cover and we wish to still offer. These activities are tree climbing, ropeswing construction,

Customer:

stream walking and dam building and touch rugby.

Customer:

and camp fires and camp cooking

Alex Hughes :

OK. I can do that but I will need to access some templates which I cannot do until I am at my office on Monday. Can you wait until then? Otherwise I can opt out and see if another expert can assist you.

Customer:

Can I show you what I have so far? I have written 3 documents (1 information letter, 1 Trip consent and 1 Activities consent). I need to sen this out to parents whose children will be attending at 8am on Mon

Alex Hughes :

Yes, by all means please attach them and I will happily take a look for you.

Customer:

I hope that these have come out ok, wasn't really sure how to attach them in this "chat" format.

Alex Hughes :

I'm just opening the third document.

Customer:

great!

Alex Hughes :

I really cant find any fault with your documents or indeed the specific disclaimer in the second document.

Alex Hughes :

You could write a very long list of terms and conditions but for your purposes I think the wording you've used is spot on.

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Hi Tammy

I am following up our conversation to see how you got on with the issue. If you need any further help then please let me know - remember I am a qualified UK Solicitor and able to help on most aspects of English Law. I am London based and usually able to respond to your query very quickly.

Alex Hughes